Bonaire Trip Report and Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@herman:
Thanks for the info regarding BonaireTalk. In the past, I frequented that site only when I was planning a Bonaire trip. The board seemed to have lots of current info on restaurants and shops on the island. I didn't realize that they were being inundated with numerous false reports of criminal activity. That's too bad.

Still, there's a part of me that finds it a little ridiculous that an Internet mod has to go to the trouble of verifying theft reports with the Bonaire police. A poster who is purposefully posting false reports of criminal activity hurts business on the entire island. Is it possible that such a poster could be a shill from Curacao? Is there inter-island business competition among the ABC islands? I can't think of any other angle that a malicious poster might have.

I too can see why Bonaire Talk may have decided to ask for verification, before a crime report can be posted. Just read back threw some of Scuba Board threads like this, discussing crime on the island, and you will begin to see a pattern of a very few second hand posters, "ramping up" the volume. Whatever their personal reasons may be for doing so. This is very easy to do on an unfiltered internet based forum. Such posting by rumor only muddies the water, and makes it difficult to discover the truth. By shear volume, rumor, repeated often enough can become accepted as fact.

Bonaire Talk, by adopting this policy, makes it possible to discuss actual crimes by the victims, but discourages the "band wagon volunteers". Far from discouraging a victim to vent about their experience, this gives credence to any such postings, as readers can be assured of the fact such a crime has really been committed. IMO

I have no clue why and any speculation would be purely a guess on my part. They may have had an issue with one person and decided to "fix them" by taking it out on the entire island population. The dislike for one person turning into hate for their entire sex, race, country of origin...whatever is not unheard of. There are some sick puppies in this world.

I am beginning to think maybe an X moved there :wink:, or this is a competitor in the trade, maybe? Whatever the cause it does appear to be a personal grudge match, by some who have never set foot on the island, or experienced the crimes they wish to broadcast! :shakehead:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off-topic posts and posts quoting them not relating to this TRIP REPORT have been removed.

If it continues to happen thread bans will be enforced.

It sounded like, in your initial report, you were entering the water with your fins on??? If that is accurate, don't! Wade in with your dive boots (hard sole) and then put your fins on once deep enough for the water to float you.

The coral rubble on the beaches is just one of those things that makes Bonaire, Bonaire. If you consider what positives result from the same things that make the rubbly beaches a negative, I think you'll see that it's worth the, dare I say it, danger.

Back
Top Bottom