Bonaire Trip Report and Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP - who, what where? Had never heard Rappel (one of my favorites BTW) was named by a Jersey boy! Any details would be appreciated.

Papa & RJP - jealous - never been able to dive in park. Spent a day in park with horrible rainy, blustery weather. Could not see a way into many sites. May have to plan a trip with you guys! Could not see a way down most of the far northern sites, except for a really long jump. Of all the sites Bise Morte looked the most accessible.

Saw the new boat at Buddy's (pics at website). Would love to hear from someone who has actually done the trip. The price is a bit steep now. That could come down if other operators offer the trip. But then again, the reason to go now is no one else is offering the trip, and access is limited!

I want to know how long is the trip, is space adequate on boat, what sites you did, conditions at sites ('the Omar damages were obvious above 20 feet...but below were pristine' is what I want), site description - a wall - gentle or steep, hard bottom or abyss, unusual corals, pelagics or fish, inquiring minds want to know! We were talking about it last night and will do it next trip.

As to the food, I don't think 'dog food' is quite apt. Or as Lloyd points out we are too tired after all the diving! Never had a bad meal at Mona Lisa, will miss leeting the chef create my dinner at Salsa, love pizza and baka stoba at Capt Don's (reserve a table down by the water and watch the tarpon feed at dusk), not a big of Lions Den but do like the dine and dive $10 plates at Buddy's...can't beat that price. Get a kick out of eating at Casablanca -a city in Northern Africa, eating Argentenean beef, located on a Dutch Island in the Caribean...

Better call the boss and get him to book us a trip before the local dive season kicks in!

Up in the park Wayaka II was easy in easy out and a great dive. Slagbaii was a bit silty until you got 200 feet off the beach and then was an absolutely wonderful dive, we did it off the south end of the beach. Don't give up on it if it's silty in near shore. I mean like real silty, the day we were there had 2-3 foot waves coming into the beach and 50 feet off the beach vis was maybe 5-10 feet but once you got out there it had some of the best vis of any of the dives on the island.

My suggestion is to not go diving in the park. :) And you definitely don't want to go up to Nukove either. :D That way when we go back we'll be the only people diving any of those sites just like last time we were there.

We'll be on Bonaire on Feb 21st and I really appreciate all this great info on the dive sites. Some of the photos show divers wearing hoods. I was planning on a full 3mm wetsuit, 7mm booties for the coral walk ins; will I need a hood? In Roatan a couple years ago I didn't find it necessary even after 17 dives. I have issues with having to carry too much weight as it is (I'm really floaty!), so I don't need the extra bouyancy if I can get away with it. Hubby wears a 3mm shorty; will that be sufficient. Thanks in advance for the advice! Note: we do some diving in the Pacific Northwest in drysuits otherwise, so I think we can handle some cold.

We'll be on Bonaire on Feb 21st and I really appreciate all this great info on the dive sites. Some of the photos show divers wearing hoods. I was planning on a full 3mm wetsuit, 7mm booties for the coral walk ins; will I need a hood? In Roatan a couple years ago I didn't find it necessary even after 17 dives. I have issues with having to carry too much weight as it is (I'm really floaty!), so I don't need the extra bouyancy if I can get away with it. Hubby wears a 3mm shorty; will that be sufficient. Thanks in advance for the advice! Note: we do some diving in the Pacific Northwest in drysuits otherwise, so I think we can handle some cold.

I can't recall seeing people wear hoods the two times we were down. Some people, myself included, wear those do-rags to keep their hair out of the way or keep from getting sun burned on their bald spot - the latter for me :(

Check the water temps, its usually in the 80s

The Hoods are to keep bubbles out of your ears, keep you a little warmer, (81* in Dec.) and for hair control for my buddy! Mostly I use a "Monk cap" light type!

RJP - who, what where? Had never heard Rappel (one of my favorites BTW) was named by a Jersey boy! Any details would be appreciated.

Rappel Story

I can't recall seeing people wear hoods the two times we were down.

I would never wear a hood in Bonaire. That would be ridiculous!

Now a drysuit, on the other hand...

RJP.jpg

WarmDry.jpg

Looks like the Hooker! I had a lady use a DS in Fiji! Then her neck seal tore and it wasn't dry or as warm as my skin! :wink:

A drysuit Dude!!!! In Bonaire you have to be kidding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom