Bonaire trip report 28 Mar-4 Apr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was in Bonaire in March. Did almost exclusively boat diving. Have been to bonaire 5 times before and did very little boat diving. But due to circumstances this time primarily did boat dives. We went with carib inn and found them very easy going, no DM lead dives. Dive your own profile. No time restrictions.Not sure why but found it like shore diving but from a boat :)

Nice report Dave! I see you've become a BA (Bonaire Addict) like the rest of us who enjoy the freedom to dive how- and when- ever. I've learned to divide up the gear between bags and carry on regs and computers to manage the weight restrictions and the pain of being gearless for a couple days should my bag decide to go off on its' own. Also not to use locks, including the so-called TSA approved locks. They merely cut them off and discard them. I don't think they even try to open the lock and then your bag gets a separate vacation and you are without gear.

No restrictions on solo shore diving in Bonaire.....nobody to hassle you when you pick up your tanks or at any of the sites....who would care??

I thought the two boat dives I did on Klein Bonaire were worth the trouble; did have to dive with a buddy on those dives.

Dave-Nice report.. thanks!
Trust me! You will be returning! I have stayed with Ed and Liz (rented one of their small houses) they are great people!
Like you, I do not wish to return to the DM led dives..love the freedom of Bonaire and its people!
I need to stop looking here..it will be 2 years in august and PBD is out of control! I really need to get back!

On our trip last month we did a total of 6 boat dives and enjoyed them. The dive sites on Klein provided us with more color and better viz. I was told this was because of the increase of surge during the time we were there. We also got to dive areas that I probably would not have attempted from shore such as Rapella & Karpata. We did not have a time limit (most of our dives were 60-70 minutes) nor did we have to follow a DM. We experienced the same type of freedom as we did on shore.
On our return trip from Karpate we even got to see a hugh Marlin!!! The boat captain stopped and circled around so we could get a better view. We followed the Marlin for about 10 minutes. It was awsome!!!

Thanks for the report. Going back for my 3rd time in June and can't hardly wait.

Interesting to hear that the east side diving didn't seem worth the hassle. I had always wanted to check that side of the island out and was going to try to make it happen this time. I wonder why they didn't set it up as a drift dive if the current was so strong?

Thanks for the report. Going back for my 3rd time in June and can't hardly wait.

Interesting to hear that the east side diving didn't seem worth the hassle. I had always wanted to check that side of the island out and was going to try to make it happen this time. I wonder why they didn't set it up as a drift dive if the current was so strong?

It was probably a shore dive - thus not a drift opportunity

It's a long swim out to the white hole!

Since Diverbart is here I should add that I did do one boat dive with him 2 years ago to klien. Just three of us, bart stayed on the boat, had a great drift dive!!!! Had a great experience with Wannadive then. Unfortunately tried again the following year, much more cattle car like and Eden beach was mobbed when we got back. Not sure where Bart was but kind of turned us off to Boat diving and Eden Beach. Beware of cruise ships!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom