Bonaire trip report 28 Mar-4 Apr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Lots of recent trip reports here so I won't try to beat stuff to death.

Flew in on Delta from Atlanta. They lost my scuba gear bag for 2 days despite all my efforts to avoid this situation. Good news: I had my dive/drive package set up with Wannadive and they let me use their rental gear at no charge for the first two days till my stuff showed up. What a great dive shop!!

Stayed at Golden Reef Inn, run by Liz and Ed. Fabulous place, great service, really nice staff, helpful with everything. Had breakfast every day served by the famous Gibi and his sister Christina. I highly recommend this small hotel!!

My truck was waiting for me at the hotel. Perfect truck, I think they call it a half cab or something like that. Had wooden racks in the back for carrying tanks. Perfect!!

Checkout dive at Wannadive site at Eden Beach with Sylvia. No big deal. 10 minutes of chat and a short 25 minute dive. Got my tag and off to the races. (NOTE: Park rangers actually checked me for the tag at Karpata one day!!)

I dove Alice in Wonderland and Hilma Hooker on the south side.....Hilma Hooker is a GREAT wreck. Alice in Wonderland has the double reef system but it is flat for the most part, as are most of the reefs down there. I preferred the sites to the north (north of oil slick) because they were more like "walls" with lots of vertical development. Best sites for me were oil slick, Jeff Davis Memorial, 1000 steps (I did it twice!!) and Karpata. Vis was great the whole week, but best up on the northern sites, near 100 ft and no currents anywhere. The reefs were truly beautiful and alive.

I did one guided dive on the East Coast Bay site.....there were supposed to be more pelagics in the area; did see some big schools of tarpon and a few eagle rays, but the vis over there is not as good and VERY STRONG currents getting to and from the site. A real UDT/SEAL type underwater swim. I wouldn't bother with this again.

I did two boat dives to Klein Bonaire.....one tank trips and these were fun. I think the vis is slightly better over there (hard to measure or prove) and I think the reefs are slightly more colorful, for whatever reason. Well worth the effort.

Best part of diving Bonaire is being able to go wherever you want on your own dive schedule without the uber-**** dive masters/leaders I have to put up with on dive boats all over the world!! If this sounds like I'm a cranky old b*stard it's because I AM, and after 30 years of diving I still have to put up with all the over supervision that seems to be the new standard all over the world in the diivng community. I know, liability yada yada yada but I hate it.

Relatively few divers at any of the sites I visited. Sometimes one or two vehicles but often I was the only one there. Used the normal precautions, windows down doors unlocked, no problems. I ran into one Dutch couple who left their windows rolled up and had a window smashed at Weber's Joy, so it does still happen. Nobody had told them to keep their windows down!

So Bonaire was PERFECT for me. In fact, I did a bunch of SOLO diving which was absolutely wonderful.....don't flame me about it, I don't want to hear it!!

Didn't waste too much time or money in fancy restaurants, but I did like the Cafe Buenos Aires downtown....open air place across the street from the water downtown. Great service and food at a reasonable price.

Water temps were a low of 77F most of the time. I wore a shorty at first, found myself getting chilled on dive 3 of the day. Used my full 3/2 for the rest of the week and it was perfect.

Spent a half day driving around the northern third of the island on my last day prior to flying out and had fun being a tourist. Checked out the museums at Washington park and took pics of the hordes of wild goats and donkeys all over the place. It was fun and worth a half day.

Overall, fantastic diving, very relaxed vacation. I had intended to make 4 dives a day, but only did 3. Found myself slightly more tired than expected from lugging the gear into and out on the shore entries....some sites an be pretty challenging. Bring THICK soled booties!!

Thanks for all previous posters for their info...hope this helps some of you.

DiverDave65

Attachments

• S2010270.JPG
    S2010270.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 229
  • S2010277.JPG
    S2010277.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 185
  • S2010282.JPG
    S2010282.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 150
  • S2010283.JPG
    S2010283.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 192
  • S2010285.JPG
    S2010285.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 161
  • S2010289.JPG
    S2010289.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 194
  • S2010292.JPG
    S2010292.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 156
  • S2010304.JPG
    S2010304.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 150
Nice report Dave. Thank you. Bonaire is a divers paradise. I didnt realize this until I went and can't wait to get back. The freedom you have is it's biggest assest. No wonder once you go you want to keep going back.

Thanx for the report!

That was cool that Wannadive hooked you up like that.

Totally agree that Golden Reef Inn and Gibi's breakfast are top notch. :)

Best part of diving Bonaire is being able to go wherever you want on your own dive schedule without the uber-**** dive masters/leaders I have to put up with on dive boats all over the world!! If this sounds like I'm a cranky old b*stard it's because I AM, and after 30 years of diving I still have to put up with all the over supervision that seems to be the new standard all over the world in the diivng community. I know, liability yada yada yada but I hate it.

DiverDave65

Thanks for the trip report, I always enjoy hearing how the trip went.

I agree about the dive masters and they do drive me nuts too. I know there is going to be some people that say that is necessary and I have seen some HORRIBLE divers that need watching.

Thanks for the report, I sure miss the place and my many friends on the island. I also solo dive a good bit when on Bonaire, usually early in the morning before the rest get up.
I just got back from Freeport Bahama and participating in the "Legends of Diving" event, great fun but the DMs started out pretty bad nannies althought they lightened up as the time went on, I sure missed the freedom of Bonaire.

Dave Thanks for the great trip report. Do you know if Bonaire has any rules about solo diving? I am looking at going in a month by myself since my wife cannot go this time.

Steve

Dave Thanks for the great trip report. Do you know if Bonaire has any rules about solo diving? I am looking at going in a month by myself since my wife cannot go this time.

Steve

No rules about solo diving. Many folks do so in Bonaire. If you are on a boat they may require you to buddy up but no such rules for shore diving.

One thing is certain, for many of us Bonaire has totally spoiled us for led dives now. We did a total of ONE boat dive during our first trip to Bonaire and absolutely HATED it! Not only did we think it was a huge waste of time (that it takes 3 hours of time for a 1 hour dive), but being restricted to a 60 minute dive, the DM leading like it was an underwater tour (while watching like a hawk), and being hurried back on the boat at the end when we had plenty of air and there was cool stuff under the boat....all simply made it painful.

We spent almost 2 weeks on Maui this Christmas/New Years and did all boat diving. It took a bit of a brain adjustment to handle the DM led dives, but within a couple of days, we realized because we always dive with the same operator (and crew) year after year, the dives were like friends diving together instead of being watched over by DMs.

We still can't wait to get back to diving freedom on Bonaire this summer though!! :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom