Bonaire trip report 28 Mar-4 Apr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am leaving Bonaire tomorrow. My wife and I have been here a week and this is our fourth trip here in the last 4 years. Our most recent trip was in Oct '08 for 3 weeks. Four days after we left TS Omar played havoc on the western coast of Bonaire (we didn't know this before we departed for this trip). From my limited observations the reef will take a while to recover. The coral is covered in sand and most of the small fish and critters have disappeared. We typically dive between 30-50 feet in Bonaire. I made several dives to 100 feet to verify the damage and observed a marked decline in the fish population at all depths. We dove the first 3 days here and have decided not to dive the remaining 2 days of our vacation as it is too depressing. Sorry about the negative news as Bonaire has always been our favorite diving destination in the Caribbean.

Boat diving exclusively in Bonaire means missing about 60% of the diving experience in Bonaire IMHO.

Yup. you said it. Freedom to dive as you will, nothing better on earth. Or in the sea!

Boat diving exclusively in Bonaire means missing about 60% of the diving experience in Bonaire IMHO.

Oh I whole heartedly agree. That is why we only did 6 boat dives plus an additional 14 shore dives. I have seen some posts on here that totally discourage boat dives and that I would not agree with. The boat dives gives you a chance to see sites that you might not otherwise get to see.

We are returning to Bonaire in July. We were there this Jan, and while Omar did do a lot of damage between our July 08 and Jan 09 trips, all areas were not hit as hard, and diving in Bonaire is still awesome. In my opinion, of course.

Places more exposed, such as Oil slick did get hit hard, and will be long time recovering, but diving on Bari Reef, Yellow Submarine, Alice in Wonderland, Windsock, etc was still great!

The one creature that I never saw at all this year was Green Morey Eels, but that seems to be another issue..

Thanks for the report. You hit it on the head and I hear you on the solo diving. A few of my best dives were solo on my last trip (my buddy was kayaking). Some knock it, but there is something about the occasional solo dive. I recall being at the bottom of Buddy's reef, joined by 6 huge tarpon, a giant Southern Stingray, a Hawksbill....with no one in sight.... kinda found my zen state at that very moment :) Ahhh, I remember it like yesterday, and that was 2 years ago.

Going back in 7 weeks! Oh, yeahhhh.

sorry, it posted twice.....

Just over 13 weeks for us! Hard waiting, but then again, well worth waiting for!

I don't like broadcasting the Solo dive too loudly. It is fundamentally a higher risk dive, and requires a much greater knowledge base, skill level, awareness, and risk assessment/management skills than team diving. Although diving with some "instant buddies" has posed higher risks, in my opinion, than it would have been had I been solo!
Anytime you dive with a camera you are , in a way diving solo, which is why uw photography/diving should wait until a diver has some skill and experience behind them.
Having said all that I do enjoy an occasional solo when conditions permit, because for just those 60 min or so I am at peace, alone in the sea, and responsible for no one else. Those moments are rare and good for the soul!

So that is why you sent your kids with me......

Just kidding Jim, besides I like diving with them. :) And I agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom