Bonaire Trip 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnajdrovsky:
Well I just had a nice chat on the phone with Natasha, and commited to trip as well, so I thought I'd say hello to the others going, and also mention that I'm a single guy, so I'll need a roomie. :) Can't wait to go!

Hey Bo..your check came yesterday. Thx!

For those that have dove Bonaire in the past, what type of wetsuit do you bring? I was planning on bringing a full 3/2 but now I am thinking that perhaps I should bring a 5mm. I do get cold and would bet that after several days of repetitive diving I will start feeling the cold. Any suggestions? Maybe my 3/2 with my 3 mill hooded vest that I can add if needed.

Has anyone had trouble brining lights on the plane? I remember reading something about a diver having trouble getting his light cannon on the plane. I will probably be packing it with my other gear and not carrying it on since I'll probably have so much other stuff to deal with (notebook and camera stuff).

Also, I'm betting that the tanks they use are AL 80s, right? I'll have to remember to change out my din for the yolk on my reg.

I wore a full 3-mil suit last time ... and it was more than I needed. But than, I'm built like a harbor seal. I'm planning to buy a 1.5 mil or dive skin for this next trip.

Oh, and I carried both of our canister dive lights in my backpack. Sometimes they'll stop the x-ray machine, confer with a supervisor, then inspect the bag. But there weren't any real difficulties.

Coming back from Roatan we were informed that "new regulations" required us to remove all batteries from our dive lights prior to packing ... but with our canister lights it was sufficient to simply unplug them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Coming back from Roatan we were informed that "new regulations" required us to remove all batteries from our dive lights prior to packing ... but with our canister lights it was sufficient to simply unplug them.

Last year when we were flying back from Cozumel, the security officer that rummages through your stuff at the Coz airport made my buddy remove all the batteries from his light also (much to his chagrin). I don't know how that enhances flying security, but I guess it's a good thing to know for when you're packing your gear.

As far as wetsuit for Bonaire, I am planing on using my 3/2 mil as well, but but everyone is a bit different with their temperature tolerance. The suit I'm bringing was warm enough for me in the Red Sea in December, even on a 60 minute dive, where the water temp was a steady 75F. Meanwhile, my divemaster was waring a drysuit! I guess everyone's a little different. :)

The water temps are in the low 80's is it not?

I plan on wearing a T-shirt.. :crafty:

And a pair of swim trunks....or maybe speedos???? Hmmmm once they see me coming, I'll get the dive boat or the shore line all to myself. :11:

The water should be 82 degrees. I have only worn a skin diving there. I have a cool one from www.divegoddess.com

But, I will agree with you, Ann Marie. Toward the end of the week, I am starting to get cold. I might just rent a shorty.

Ann Marie:
For those that have dove Bonaire in the past, what type of wetsuit do you bring? I was planning on bringing a full 3/2 but now I am thinking that perhaps I should bring a 5mm. I do get cold and would bet that after several days of repetitive diving I will start feeling the cold. Any suggestions? Maybe my 3/2 with my 3 mill hooded vest that I can add if needed.
Last november we used a 3 1/2 mm full suit and felt nice, warm and comfortable.

Ann Marie:
Has anyone had trouble brining lights on the plane? I remember reading something about a diver having trouble getting his light cannon on the plane. I will probably be packing it with my other gear and not carrying it on since I'll probably have so much other stuff to deal with (notebook and camera stuff).
Lights in the carry-on baggage were no problem. Lightbulb was removed though.

Ann Marie:
Also, I'm betting that the tanks they use are AL 80s, right? I'll have to remember to change out my din for the yolk on my reg.
Auminium tanks, INT.

Laurens

pt40fathoms:
And a pair of swim trunks....or maybe speedos???? Hmmmm once they see me coming, I'll get the dive boat or the shore line all to myself. :11:
Don't count on it. I'm not that easily frightened... :D

Laurens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom