Bonaire - Shore diving singles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I've got to decide where I want to do my 1000th Bonaire dive....hmm.

Can the mid-island cave dive still be accessed? There was talk amongst the few users that concrete and re-bars were being considered to eliminate otherwise dangerous environments.

Not a gotta-do-it thing from what I was shown in my one single dive, even for the qualified and physically nimble- access was nasty. This is NOT some tourist trail ride like most of the Mexican Cenotes. A real PITA to get below water and climb out, amusing but not worth it for most reasons….

but for a 1000th dunk, and for a true Bonairaphile? Why not?

So, tanks are the one single thing that doesn’t get stolen from cars parked at shore dive sites. It took me a couple of days looking at that answer before I noodled out why that is the case. Makes perfect sense.

Somewhere, some Bonairian is wearing my bathing suit and flip flops. Greatest shore dive island I know of, just leave nothing in your car… besides, apparently, tanks.
Maybe they need to make fake tanks you can rent with a screw off false bottom for a place to stash phones, keys, ice cold beer. etc.....

But then some idiot on SB would openly post that idea and ruin it...... damn... nevermind!

Maybe they need to make fake tanks you can rent with a screw off false bottom for a place to stash phones, keys, ice cold beer. etc.....

But then some idiot on SB would openly post that idea and ruin it...... damn... nevermind!
From truth comes humor, sometimes vice versa….

There are any number of OpSec (operational security) behaviors that I simply do not post. I will specify such things in a tailored list for Executive Security corporate clients with (FWIW) a non-disclosure agreement.

There are simple fixes for the still rampant, long term burglarizing of Bonaire shore dive user vehicles. The real issue is their Byzantine and outmoded legal system for such low end property crimes. Then, translate the stats from Papamiento. Quick fix would be one man, one rifle, a high overlook, but I’m just solving problems, don’t mind me.

The Bonaire dive-ops and government took a fair swing at this by announcing food-truck cum ‘watchers’ for an announced daily schedule. Bad guys went elsewhere, truck guys were otherwise occupied, and subject to personal vendetta by their neighbors. It failed.

[On Roatan, the now-outmoded policy was “it’s a big ocean out there”. Problems just disappeared, often being ‘necklaced’. Ugly but effective. No longer, and the result is apparent. Not shore dive cars, but Roatan now has similar property crime concerns.]

The easiest thing to prohibit Bonaire car sacking? A non-diving GF (not marriage material until OW Certified) that will spend an hour sitting next to the car. There should be a bikini test for this non-diver assistant, a sexist would say.

I have adopted variations for every trip. Easy fixes and workarounds for things like baggage, subtly managing passport control, not engaging customs, keeping cash safe, shore dive car keys, personal physical security- the standard travel questions we see on SB 1000x. I see no value in exposing these methodologies, and I view social media similar to talking to my cats.

E3DA8DBF-BF8E-467F-A2C5-8F2AD3166DA9.jpeg

When I did stand-up speaking at retail dive shows, my presentation was listed as, “Surviving your trip to Paradise”.

it is a good idea.. but is no longer a secret

Doesn't it HAVE to be 1000 steps?
1000 dives 1000 steps

I think no one would steal tanks there. They are everywhere. And numbered. Every pickup seemed to have 1/2 dozen in the open bed.

I like the fake tank. Like a supersized DRYFOB

Back
Top Bottom