Bonaire - Shore diving singles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've been reading / watching on YT, it isn't common for divers to do a two tank shore dive at any one location in Bonaire. My guess is that part of the reason is securing the second tank at your vehicle while you're in the water. And I suppose the other reason is that there are so many other shore locations that you wouldn't want to spend too much time at any single one. How far do you have to drive to get a refill in most cases?

From what I've been reading / watching on YT, it isn't common for divers to do a two tank shore dive at any one location in Bonaire. My guess is that part of the reason is securing the second tank at your vehicle while you're in the water. And I suppose the other reason is that there are so many other shore locations that you wouldn't want to spend too much time at any single one. How far do you have to drive to get a refill in most cases?
Your first reason is never a reason. People nearly always have a second tank in the back of their pickups, either for the next dive, or from the previous dive, or as a spare.

Your second reason is more common: there are so many dive sites, and you need a surface interval anyway, just go the next one and wait until your computer says OK.

Getting a refill between dives is thus not needed....but you are never more than a few miles from getting a refill...but it might take up to an hour to get there.....no four-lane highways!

Two shore dives then lunch, is the morning norm.

Your first reason is never a reason. People nearly always have a second tank in the back of their pickups, either for the next dive, or from the previous dive, or as a spare.

Your second reason is more common: there are so many dive sites, and you need a surface interval anyway, just go the next one and wait until your computer says OK.

Getting a refill between dives is thus not needed....but you are never more than a few miles from getting a refill...but it might take up to an hour to get there.....no four-lane highways!

Two shore dives then lunch, is the morning norm.
Totally agree with all of this..... Been to Bon over a dozen times and never had any issues with tanks being stolen even at some of the more remote sites.

We usually stay in a villa up in the Sabadeco area right at the Andrea dive sites. Typical day is to hit Buddy's for their buffet breakfast than hit the drive through to swap out tanks for the day. Like Tursiops, our usual routine is a couple of morning shore dives then back for lunch, then an afternoon dive. We also really love to do the "dusky" dives right at sunset as even the same sites are different when the critters are on the move to wherever they're going for the night.

Been to Bon over a dozen times and never had any issues with tanks being stolen even at some of the more remote sites.
I've been going to Bonaire for 23 years, 38 trips, 55 weeks, and have a standing watch on SB anytime somebody posts about Bonaire. I've never ever heard of a tank being stolen from a parked truck at a dive site.

That's great to hear about the tanks! Most reports on YT suggest precautions against petty theft, but none that I saw mentioned how to manage tanks. I'm now thinking this will be my first dive trip OOC. My wife doesn't dive so I'll need to see what Bonaire has to offer her.

Most reports on YT suggest precautions against petty theft
Visitors to Washington DC, Baltimore, NYC, Detroit, etc., get reminded of the same thing.
Most reports on YT about Bonaire are repetitive and not really very helpful. Some are even correct.

I've been going to Bonaire for 23 years, 38 trips, 55 weeks, and have a standing watch on SB anytime somebody posts about Bonaire. I've never ever heard of a tank being stolen from a parked truck at a dive site.
Wow... 38 trips is flipp'n awesome! Our first trip to Bon was in 1999. And the only way we could get there from Seattle was Dallas, then to Puerto Rico, then Curacao...then a hop to Bon. What a pain.... but worth it.

No cruise ships.... The main store was the Culti-Mart and when having cocktails at Mona Lisa one evening we met Larry with Larry's Wild Side diving.........Now East Coast Divers! Love diving the Eastside!

One of our favorite non-dive activities on Bon is to pack an ice chest for an evening sunset way south and play some Beach Rock Jenga..... Rules are simple. When it's your turn, pick a rock and stack it!!

How many dives? :) I'll guess around a 1000, maybe a few more.

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

At least some dive op.s may prefer people take no more than 2 tanks/person at a time, so there are plenty available. Hence on my trips I tended to take 2 in the morning, do the dives, eat lunch, swap those 2 out for 2 for the afternoon, depending on trip and situation might or might not do a night dive (usually at house reef if staying oceanfront), and repeat the next day.

Some dive operators have a number of tank swap locations; Dive Friends is particularly well known for this, and it is a convenience.

How many dives? :) I'll guess around a 1000, maybe a few more.
Not quite, but I'll hit a thousand there my next trip...guess I'll be buying the rounds that night....

Back
Top Bottom