Bonaire - security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, yeah, but you can't generalize from the experience of a few people.

say you meet four people who have horror stories about BMW cars... does that
mean BMW cars suck? or does it mean your sample may not be representative of the
general BMW owner's experience?

in this case, the overwhelming majority of divers say Bonaire was a good trip for
them... so... while certainly being cautious, i wouldn't think of the place as a
crime-ridden hell hole.

ok... can we get back on topic, please?? which was the changes made to the
diving fees at the Bonaire National Park.

H2Andy:
lol, yeah, but you can't generalize from the experience of a few people.

say you meet four people who have horror stories about BMW cars... does that
mean BMW cars suck? or does it mean your sample may not be representative of the
general BMW owner's experience?

in this case, the overwhelming majority of divers say Bonaire was a good trip for
them... so... while certainly being cautious, i wouldn't think of the place as a
crime-ridden hell hole.

ok... can we get back on topic, please?? which was the changes made to the
diving fees at the Bonaire National Park.

I don't want to change this topic/hyjack, but they are rasing fees and there is crime, and nothing is getting done about it? Priorty check is in oder, I would say. Now, to get more on topic. No one would mind a fee increase if the fee increase would make the place better and safer.

Fast answer to your Beemer question. I have just heard this from way too many divers.

doc i think someone was pulling your leg on murder. second rocks are better than bullets, try living in detroit. The way you made it sound was like it was a bunch of kids. I have to admit i did some stupid things kind of like that as a kid. Kids are kids they do stupid things.

Originally Posted by AggieDiver
I always love these threads, because there is always somebody who says "this kind of thing happens everywhere", in a somewhat lame attempt to excuse the Bonaire Police for the abject failure to even marginally attempt to stop the well known theft problems there.

And your right it doesnt happen everywhere. its much worse in a lot of places right here in the US. Detroit for eg you can hear gunshots all night long. We had a body in our dumpster for 2 days the Cop said they would leave it there to make an example to the other gangs. Petty crime like that isn't anything copmpared to ducking bullets in your own house while watching tv. And detroit is number 9 on the most dangerous cities. Do you know where 8 of the other most dangerous cities are besides jamica? WOw its right here in the Good old USA. thats 9 of the 10 most dangerous cities in the world right here. If ya dont believe me contact your local law school cause thats the stats they teach us. Everyone says OH MEXICO IS SO SAFE then why last week did my friends have guards with submachine guns guarding the entrance to the hotel in ixstapa(i know i spelled it wrong). Petty crime in nothing it does happen everywhere. In detroit if you leave a cell phone in your car the'll bust the window take the car and leave your phone. so i say if the diving is good who cares unless you live in a bubble crime is everwhere. the only way to get rid of it is waith a total police state and even then it wouldnt work because of the nature of human beings. Another question have you ever taken anything home from work? if so you are guilty of petty crime even if you do it unintentionally, you could be fired and prosecuted.

miketsp:
Some friends just got back from Bonaire. I already knew about the problems with unattended rented cars while people were diving but they really surprised me that their hotel rooms were burgled while they were sleeping during the night. Woke up to find rooms ransacked & missing money, better quality dive lamps & charger (thief was very selective), digital cameras, 1G memory sticks, notebook etc.
They registered the robbery with the police who managed to recover the notebook. This was returned on the 20th April, eve of their return, but they were very surprised to see that the police had used it all week (14th to 20th) before returning it!!!! (proved by various log files etc). They even had the cheek to register the owner of the laptop in MSN as a friend. :11:

Hotel was SUN OCEANFRONT. They complained that few of the room safes were functional to store valuables.

Total final loss was about US$3.300 between them.

Hey there.... Another thought or two about this business with Bonaire. First of all, in that note I wrote earlier I mentioned the town where we were attacked by the rock throwing teenagers. The town's name is Rincon -- just east of Karpata, as I noted earlier. Secondly, when I was in Bonaire last, the car rental agencies were warning us not to ever lock things inside the car. They were getting too many broken windows from thiefts. They were asking all the renters to leave the windows down while diving and not to leave anything (even T-shirts, sandals, or sunglasses) inside the cars. There's a problem in Bonaire folks, and it could be fixed if enough pressure were put on the dive operators. One last thought.... If you're familiar with Bonaire at all, you'll know that one of the greatest attractions of the island is the opportunity to dive virtually all of the dive sites (except, obviously, those on Kline Bonaire) from the shore. It's great fun to dive some of these sites with just the small group you came with as opposed to being on a boat loaded with strangers. While this is great fun, it is not the way the dive shop owners make money. They make money when you take a boat dive. I've wondered for years if the reason there is no pressure on the police to stop these robberies is that frankly the dive operators don't want you diving off the shore. Just a thought.... Doc

Doc Thomas:
Hey there.... Another thought or two about this business with Bonaire. First of all, in that note I wrote earlier I mentioned the town where we were attacked by the rock throwing teenagers. The town's name is Rincon -- just east of Karpata, as I noted earlier. Secondly, when I was in Bonaire last, the car rental agencies were warning us not to ever lock things inside the car. They were getting too many broken windows from thiefts. They were asking all the renters to leave the windows down while diving and not to leave anything (even T-shirts, sandals, or sunglasses) inside the cars. There's a problem in Bonaire folks, and it could be fixed if enough pressure were put on the dive operators. One last thought.... If you're familiar with Bonaire at all, you'll know that one of the greatest attractions of the island is the opportunity to dive virtually all of the dive sites (except, obviously, those on Kline Bonaire) from the shore. It's great fun to dive some of these sites with just the small group you came with as opposed to being on a boat loaded with strangers. While this is great fun, it is not the way the dive shop owners make money. They make money when you take a boat dive. I've wondered for years if the reason there is no pressure on the police to stop these robberies is that frankly the dive operators don't want you diving off the shore. Just a thought.... Doc

That's not so far fectched, unfortunately. Anything is possible. It is even possible that the "police", whatever they call themselves, because they are not real police, are getting a cut. It is even speculated that the car rental agencies are in with the ring that steal cars [where would they go with a stolen car on that island? but they are in fact stealing cars] and the stolen spare tire scam. Ask yourself, why is there such a rash of spare tire thefts? Young kids have a fascination with spare tires? I don't think so. The price of the spare tire comes out of your $500 deductible before they will let you leave the island. Starting to get the picture?

Where are they selling the dive gear they steal? Post a cop at the ferry and check gear that is being transported to South America, Curacao from Bonaire? Not difficult.

In order for this level of crime, this frequentcy, to occur without apprenhension, or remedy, there has to be collution on a few levels. So, yes, it is possible that the dive shops COULD be part of the problem.

Doc Thomas:
when I was in Bonaire last, the car rental agencies were warning us not to ever lock things inside the car. They were getting too many broken windows from thiefts. They were asking all the renters to leave the windows down while diving and not to leave anything (even T-shirts, sandals, or sunglasses) inside the cars.
If I rent a car, I expect to be able to store things in it. That's crap, having the rental care agency advise on keeping the windows down and bringing your stuff with you. I'll lock it in the trunk, or is that not advised either?

If the thievery is this bad, windows should simply be replaced with metal screens. Ha ha, I'd set booby-traps.

We went in August, had no problems. I actually felt more safe than other places I've been. Only thing stolen from our group was a license plate, but it was taken by another member of the group. lol

Gela:
We went in August, had no problems. I actually felt more safe than other places I've been. Only thing stolen from our group was a license plate, but it was taken by another member of the group. lol
For anybody that wants one but doesn't want to engage in larceny, you can buy old ones at the Airport giftshop or the cigar store just south of the rotary by Buddy's. They're also sold at the store in town with the aquamarine paint but I think those are reproductions.

archman:
If I rent a car, I expect to be able to store things in it. That's crap, having the rental care agency advise on keeping the windows down and bringing your stuff with you. I'll lock it in the trunk, or is that not advised either?
Not too many trunks on trucks, which is the pre-eminent dive vehicle on Bonaire....

Doc Thomas:
While this is great fun, it is not the way the dive shop owners make money. They make money when you take a boat dive. I've wondered for years if the reason there is no pressure on the police to stop these robberies is that frankly the dive operators don't want you diving off the shore. Just a thought.... Doc
Wait, didn't you pay for your weekly tank rental? I think the way the dive ops make money is on overpriced gear in their stores.

Back
Top Bottom