Bonaire saftey/crime question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to plan a trip to Bonaire next year and have a question about saftey/crime there.

Now everyone has told me that there is a crime problem, but that it is mostly petty theft. This can be avoided by not leaving anything in a vehicle and not rolling up windows for them to break out trying to get in. Note: I'm not trying for this thread to turn into an argument about the crime.

My question is though that if non diving spouses go and sit on a beach while we are diving, are there any saftey concerns? Are the thieves bold enough to rob people or do they just break into vehicles, etc.?

(I'm not talking about the somewhat crowded beach/shore at the resort, but in a remote location where they could most likely be the only ones on the beach?)

so pretty valid question before you want to leave your wives on the beach alone.

-mike

According to what I've heard..

Leave the windows down. Your car/truck WILL be 'examined' by the locals, it's your choice of how they're gonna get in it.

If you bring it, dive with it. When your car/truck gets 'examined', you don't want to leave anything in there.

and of course the usual travel stuff that applies anywhere

McRatliff:

After reading this post I think I need to move to Bonaire and open a Glass Shop and Tire Store to fix all the broken truck windows and replace the stolen spare tires.!!!!

I know I could sell the same tire at least a good 20 times a year this way!
Talk about guarenteed repeat customers!

I was in Bonaire last week and did some fantastic diving all over the island. In the past I have had evidence that someone went through my stuff but have never had anything taken except a roll of film. The film was in its original box and was resaleable. Other rolls that were only in the plastic can were not taken. On one occasion a person in our group had their groceries taken when they went into a restaurant with the sacks still in the car.

On one or two dive sites I have seen evidence of broken windows. All rental agencies tell you to leave the windows open. The past five or six rental trucks have had locking gas caps.

I hear lots of talk about widespread crime. I live in Montgomery Alabama. My philosophy is that if I would not leave it laying on my car seat in downtown Montgomery I will not leave it there in Bonaire. The larger resorts like Buddy Dive, Capt Dons, Plaza, etc all have 24 hour security. Some smaller resorts have barred windows.

There is virtually no violent crime. It is safe to leave a non-diving friend sunbathing on the beach while you are diving. The Sand Dollar Grocery had some nice beach chairs for not much cash especially for this purpose.

Just go and have fun - maintain the same cautions that you would at home - and remember that you are infinitely safer than you are in any major city in larger countries.

Be careful with that truck open window thing. There has been some discussion on the bonaire talk board that if, for example, you read the back of AB Truck rental contract, it clearly states that if you leave the windows down and truck unlocked the insurance you are paying is null and void. Yet they will tell you at the window to leave windows down and truck unlocked. I would recommend doing whatever the contract says in writing. And, take about a three foot chain and good lock to keep that spare tire around if you are worried. Last time I went I chained mine up, a buddy with another truck did not chain his....both were there at turn in time.
rich

mike_s:
I'm thinking about trying to plan a trip to Bonaire next year and have a question about saftey/crime there.

Now everyone has told me that there is a crime problem, but that it is mostly petty theft. This can be avoided by not leaving anything in a vehicle and not rolling up windows for them to break out trying to get in. Note: I'm not trying for this thread to turn into an argument about the crime.

My question is though that if non diving spouses go and sit on a beach while we are diving, are there any saftey concerns? Are the thieves bold enough to rob people or do they just break into vehicles, etc.?

(I'm not talking about the somewhat crowded beach/shore at the resort, but in a remote location where they could most likely be the only ones on the beach?)

so pretty valid question before you want to leave your wives on the beach alone.

-mike

I have heard, first hand, of a lot of crime on Bonaire, hotel rooms broken into, car windows smashed on rental truks and cars, stuff taken off balconies, spare tires taken, windows smashed and the like.[the rental agencies make you pay for that out of your $500 deductible] The police are feckless at best, complicit at worse. If you go to that island my advice is to NEVER rent a car and expose yourself to that level of risk. There are plenty of other places as good for diving in the Caribbean, and a lot safer. If they will not take care of the obvious crime problem on Bonaire,Vote with your wallet

RICHinNC:
Be careful with that truck open window thing. There has been some discussion on the bonaire talk board that if, for example, you read the back of AB Truck rental contract, it clearly states that if you leave the windows down and truck unlocked the insurance you are paying is null and void. Yet they will tell you at the window to leave windows down and truck unlocked. I would recommend doing whatever the contract says in writing. And, take about a three foot chain and good lock to keep that spare tire around if you are worried. Last time I went I chained mine up, a buddy with another truck did not chain his....both were there at turn in time.
rich

How could a diver enjoy diving with that level of anxiety? It's supposed to be a vacation. With that kind of double-talk from car rental agencies, why rent a car or truck?

Mike, I hate to do this but do a search on this. We have gone over and over it. Bottom line, the crime on Bonaire gets blown way out of proportion. Your spouce will be fine on the beach. Her biggest concerns are sunburn and dehydration

A group of us were in Bonaire in November. Great diving, great time, we would all love to go back today. We did leave the trucks unlocked and windows open and nothing was taken with the exception of 1 spare tire out of 4. That did cost us a good chunk of change, seemed a bit of a rip off but it does not seem that anyone in our group of 12 would not return because of it. Securing the spare might be a good option because you need to have it along, we needed a tire change once ourselves. There is not much to do there for a non-diver so just be aware of that. If they are happy to sit by the beach or pool that is fine but the sightseeing is limited. Of course the snorkeling is great as well as the diving. People and staff everywhere were very friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom