Recent Theft from Truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmcdarris

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read the Bonaire Reporter (newspaper) online to keep informed of local items of interest. I always read the Police Reports section, which sometimes has some funny stuff. Anyway, someone recently asked about crimes at dive sites. The below is a section from the April 13, 2022 Police Report section:

Property crime
April 9. Thieves stole a backpack with contents while the owners were on the beach at the dive site Margate at E.E.G. Bulevar. The black Deuter backpack contained, among other things, a Scubapro Aladin dive computer, a black Citizen EcoDive diving watch, a toolbox with diving equipment, a Victorinox knife, cash, and a hotel room key.

I’m on my 5th trip to Bonaire in September and have never had a problem, but my approach has always been, “What I leave in the truck is something I don’t care if it is stolen.” Stealing stuff from dive trucks is such an easy crime for thieves - divers gone for an hour, truck parked on side of the road, generally in a very desolate area with little traffic. It’s just too easy. Unfortunately, having thefts like the above just encourages more crime like this.

The more people know about these thefts the better. Spread the word and stay safe.

I'm always surprised to hear people leave valuables in their car. I always think pretty much every dive shop warns their customers, but even then people take backpacks full of phones, wallets and passports :(

Tempted to leave a bottle of Grey Goose filled with bowel prep solution.
I think that is a stellar idea.

Theft is always wrong and we personally will re-book/find new dates for any Bonaire trip that we are unable to book the ultimate dive truck for for this exact reason. Total game changer and now an absolute necessity for us.

Their Deuter backpack (empty) would by itself be worth more than all the things together I have ever left in a truck in Bonaire.

Now that I re-read it:
April 9. Thieves stole a backpack with contents while the owners were on the beach at the dive site Margate
It's possible they were not out diving but rather had walked onto the beach to give the site a brief look before gearing up. Still, I wouldn't leave anything out of my sight for even a minute.

The locking cabinets on Ultimate Dive Trucks do indeed lock but they’re not exactly UL rated safes. Looks like aluminum sheet and four-pin tumblers, no more security than the locking doors of the truck cab itself. Anyone know if they’ve been safe enough so far?

The locking cabinets on Ultimate Dive Trucks do indeed lock but they’re not exactly UL rated safes. Looks like aluminum sheet and four-pin tumblers, no more security than the locking doors of the truck cab itself. Anyone know if they’ve been safe enough so far?
My belief has long been that most would-be Bonaire truck thieves don't walk around with crowbars or any other tools. I believe they see something through the window, smash the window with a rock, and run off with whatever it was into the underbrush. A "crime of opportunity." Even when our truck was stolen with some gear in it, the culprits turned out to be a couple of kids. One person in our group has taken to bringing a portable safe with a cable lock for his wallet and phone, betting on low odds of a thief carrying cable cutters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom