Bonaire saftey/crime question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
There are plenty of other places as good for diving in the Caribbean, and a lot safer.

Where?

pilot fish:
If they will not take care of the obvious crime problem on Bonaire,Vote with your wallet

By all means ... that way it'll be less crowded when I go back ... :wink:

Read this thread over, and notice that all the people who talk about how bad the crime is in Bonaire "heard about it", or "read about it". All the people who say they have actually been there are telling you that with simple precautions it isn't any worse than anywhere else. OK, so sometimes the locals will steal your film, sunglasses, or spare tire. Try leaving a car or truck parked with the windows open in almost any town in the USA and you'll be lucky if the vehicle is still there when you get back.

And safety isn't an issue ... other than petty theft, crime is virtually non-existent in Bonaire. Can you say that about your home town? Somehow, I'll bet you're safer in Bonaire than you are at home.

It's one thing to recognize a problem ... it's another altogether to blow it out of proportion. Theft in Bonaire is no worse than anyplace else I've ever been on vacation ... and unlike many places, although they might steal your groceries, you are not in any danger of violence against your person.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've never been to Bonaire, though it's a place I'd love to go.

I live in Denver. I leave my jeep open and unlocked 100% of the time. Six months of the year, the top is down, and everything inside "exposed". I've never had as much as the windex stolen out of the supply box in the back.

Of course, I don't leave anything out that I can't afford to lose. Petty theft is so often just a crime of opportunity. After all, what would you do if you saw a sack with a year's worth of pay sitting there in cash? I personally would be sorely tempted.

My father was born on Curacao. When I went there last month, my dad and my grandmother warned me to be very careful. They said that crime was rampant, and that the mob is everywhere on the island. While I don't doubt their word, my wife and I had a great time and really enjoyed the island. We did notice a larger than normal (to us) number of cops.

It's all about making lemons out of your lemonade. Or something like that. :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
Where?

[[[[Dominica, Cozumel and Saba.]]]] PF

By all means ... that way it'll be less crowded when I go back ... :wink:

Read this thread over, and notice that all the people who talk about how bad the crime is in Bonaire "heard about it", or "read about it". All the people who say they have actually been there are telling you that with simple precautions it isn't any worse than anywhere else. OK, so sometimes the locals will steal your film, sunglasses, or spare tire. Try leaving a car or truck parked with the windows open in almost any town in the USA and you'll be lucky if the vehicle is still there when you get back.

And safety isn't an issue ... other than petty theft, crime is virtually non-existent in Bonaire. Can you say that about your home town? Somehow, I'll bet you're safer in Bonaire than you are at home.

It's one thing to recognize a problem ... it's another altogether to blow it out of proportion. Theft in Bonaire is no worse than anyplace else I've ever been on vacation ... and unlike many places, although they might steal your groceries, you are not in any danger of violence against your person.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Everyone has to make their own choice. Whatever that choice is, I think renting a car or truck on Bonaire is leaving yourself wide open for problems.

The whole idea of bonaire is shore diving....and if you dont have a truck....you have missed the boat ! (pardon the pun)

I agree with Herman in that I think the level of crime there is blown out of proportion, however, I also take issue with what is said by retailers and what is written in the contract.

If it has been a topic of discussion on the bonaire talk board ... and seems to me a bit confusing....it just takes a second to read the small print and do what it says.

I would go back to bonaire in a heartbeat ....and I would def rent a truck too.....I would just read the contract a little more closely and not necessarily listen to the lady at the pickup window.
rich

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For some reason, PF has an extra duty sized axe to grind on Bonaire. Read SB long enough and that is easy to figure out eh Bob? :wink:

In my experience, the crime on Bonaire is petty, and is a nusance. And a nusance is ... well .... a nusance. Since unlike most other places i've vacationed you do have to worry about what you take along with you.

For example, you can't really bag your gear up in a nice gear bag because there is a good chance it will get ripped off on the beach while your diving. I've left nice gear bags, nice towels, sunglasses, nice clothes, Tevas, etc on the beach while diving in places like Coz, Grand Cayman, Maui, Hawaii, numerous local sites, etc without even a thought.

Over the years of going to Bonaire, our group (even though most had been forewarned) has had all of those things ripped off. Me, after losing a gearbag with tevas, towel & sunglasses the first year i went, i've never had a problem the next three times i've gone.

With all that said i still think Bonaire is more than worth it. Once your informed of the potential problem it not a big deal. Just adjust what you take along and enjoy the world class diving. For example, i take my old seabag along for a gearbag. No one seems to want that beauty. :wink:

The real loss is if one never gets to dive Bonaire. Its some of the best diving the carribean has to offer without a doubt.

Until you have been there...dont pass judgement!

I was there last July and had a wonderful week! The freedom to do your own thing and dive when and where you want is priceless!I had no bad experiences at all!
In fact, Im in the planning stages of booking a return trip! I would even consider moving/retireing there!

PF stay home..we wont miss you.

What places in the carribean are 100% safe anyway? Jamaica...Puerto Rico,DR,Honduras ...please?!

gedunk:
For some reason, PF has an extra duty sized axe to grind on Bonaire. Read SB long enough and that is easy to figure out eh Bob? :wink:

That's was the reason for my short reply earlier. For someone who has been island once, almost did not leave the resort and had no problems (based on HIS post) he sure likes to talk bad about the island. Over the last 6 years I have been on island 8 times with groups ranging from 2 to 24 for a total of 60 person weeks and NONE of us have had any problems at all. I have stayed at 4 different places, eaten in lots of restaurants and dove 15 or 20 different sites so I have exposed myself to the possibility of crime. There is no place dove like Bonaire. Almost everywhere else you go, you stay at the resort, take a cab any where you go and dive from boats. If there are more car breakins on Bonaire well duuuuh, could it be because that's the only place you rent a car and drive to remote places and dive?
I would also like to know where the "much safer" places in the Caribbean are.

I agree with you guys about PF. He was on bonaire for a week and never had a problem while he was there. So why bash?
we just got back from a week in bonaire. What a great place. I lived for 21 years in southwest Detroit, and living there you learned that locking you door only took the theif a minute longer to steal your car. Items left in your car meant a broken window and stuff stolen. So if you grow up with stuff like that you learn that you cant leave items in your vehicle which i practiced on the island. We never had a problem there with anything being taken from the truck and we were all over the island. As far as the resort i was amazed after reading all the things on here that alomst every room at the resort had dive gear that was left outside to dry all night long. I never heard anyone at the plaza report a problem. I would go back withut a second thought. It is a "great" place to dive and the people that we encountered were very helpful. I did hear of a woman who had her purse stolen and the truck window broken. But who would leave their purse in a vehicle go into a post office and then the back and expect it to be there when they returned. I know where i live it would mean a broken window and your credit cards being used within minutes to beat you in calling the card company and reporting them stolen. just common sense there. as far as feeling safe we walked around in the middle of the night and felt totally safe in doing so.

We were there in 2000 for 14 days. Only one day our truck was broken into and a camera and other small things were taken. :( It's kinda ironic because that was the one day we locked the doors and had the windows up.

I agree about the rental contract saying to lock the doors but then again how are they going to prove that you didn't if the truck is stolen? Just tell them the windows were up and the truck was locked.

Wijbrandus:
My father was born on Curacao. When I went there last month, my dad and my grandmother warned me to be very careful. They said that crime was rampant, and that the mob is everywhere on the island.
Our DM on Bonaire last summer said almost the same thing, he was glad to be working on Bonaire for that reason.

I'm not letting myself get sucked into yet another safety on Bonaire discussion, just do a search here, it's all been discussed to death already. Or read bonairetalk.com.

So I'll just add, been there, done that, had no problems with theft. It's one of the safest caribbean islands I've been on.

Herman, you have more patience than I, my friend...

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom