Bonaire Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenTeach

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are looking at traveling to Bonaire in March/April...this would be our first trip there...have been to Curacao. I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Eden Beach Resort?

Any other recommendations? It seems that Buddy Dive Resort seems to be a favorite.

Jennifer

Personally I like Plaza Resort Bonaire. It's a very nice resort with a great shore dive (18 palms) and Toucan Divers onsite does a great job. I've not been to Buddy Dive Resort but I have firends who swear by it. Have a great trip. You'll love Bonaire.

We're heading to Buddy Dive at the end of April. First timers.

From my research and per my travel agent if you want a dive intensive visit then Buddy Dive is a good choice. I you are looking to mix it up with other activities other spots may be more suitable.

Pete

I'll also nominate the Plaza Resort. I've been there twice and going back for my third time in July 07. Not sure why Buddy's gets better reviews as "the dive place". I usually do 20-22 dives a week while at the Plaza, but I'm there to dive. With their Dive Drive and Stay package you can do all the shore diving you want. If you want to do some boat dives they do a 2-dive trip in the morning and a 1 dive trip in the afternoon. I usually do the boat dives in the morning, then 2 afternoon shore dives and usually a night dive off the Plaza's house reef 18 Palms. It's nice coming back from the night dive, droping your tank on the pier, walking to your room and into a hot shower, then back to the Tipsy Seagull for after hours snacks and a drink before heading back to your room. For those non-divers, they have a beautiful real sand beach with hammocks, palm trees and shade. Beach side pool along with on site restaurants. The rooms are all very nice and well kept. Yeah it's near the airport, but the big jets only land on the weekends for the most part and only a couple a day. I never even noticed them except for the dive we did at "windsock" which is it at the end of the only runway. Might not even have noticed it then, but it seems to be an attraction when one of the 747's from Europe is getting ready to leave. The locals gather at the fence and get pelted with sand and stones from the jet exhaust as they go to full takeoff power. Again I like the Plaza Resort. Buddy's does have one thing going for it. The only ice cream store on the island I found is just outside Buddy's complex.

Eden Beach is a smaller and quaint location - the rooms and facilities are nice. They have both a beach front and a drive up tank service. You can see their beach and bar live on www.bonairewebcams.com Of course it is night there now so wait until in the morning to look.

The larger Sand Dollar and Buddy Dive are a stones throw north. Be aware before you book that the house reef at Eden Beach is basically a pile of rubble with a few live areas. They have a fantastic wreck a short swim to the south and a cabin cruiser wreck at the reef cam site. Of course - great diving is a short drive in either direction.

Bari Reef off the Sand Dollar and Buddy Dive has the greatest variety of marine life reported to REEF than any other single dive site in the world. Both the Sand Dollar and Buddy Dive are great operations. Captain Don's - on the other hand - has had some baaaad publicity lately - mostly rude staff in both the hotel and dive operation. Be wary. Diver Liz here on scubaboard runs a great hotel north of the power plant but she is off the beach.

To me - I go to the islands to get away from the big city mentality - The Plaza Resort - although nice - is too uptown for me. Bruce Bowker's Caribe Inn however is great.

Bonaire is a fantastic place but you also have to be warned that POST BONAIRE DEPRESSION (PBD) lies rampant and every visitor catches it. There is no known cure for this disorder but it can be eased temporarily with a follow-up visit to the island.

Just to add a little to Tom, there really are no bad resorts on Bonaire that I am aware of...with the possible exception of the staff at CD's. Which you choose is mainly based on personal choice. If you want a little more upscale, the Plaza or Harbor Village are the choices. Buddy has probably the best complete package with it's "Drive and Dive" and the staff is great. If you don't mind being off the water, Liz at Golden Reef Inn offers a great alternative. It's less upscale than the other places and a short distance off the water but the cost savings are well worth it IMO.
I have not been in the rooms at Eden Beach but the grounds are nice and Wannadivebonaire Dive Op is one of my top 2 favorites on the island, you can't go wrong with them. I do agree that Eden's house reef is my least favorite on the island, it's not bad but there are much better.

I will concur with some of the other posters. I love the beach/bar setup at Plaza Resort and the 18 Palms is a pretty good house reef.

Have a blast.

-J.-

Eden beach is nice, not too small and not a big resort you get lost in, it was very safe and realxing and Bonaire diving is amazing! Bongos has good food and the staff is very friendly as well,
If you are really into a dive vacation at rock bottome prices, the wannaDive Hut is great too. clean , safe and cheap.
enjoy!

There are a lot of great spots on Bonaire to stay, each a bit different. If you want oceanfront with great views from your terrace, Belmar is hard to beat.

Ditto all the above, I have stayed at the Plaza once and Eden Beach three times. You can guess which one I prefer. I like the convenience of Eden Beach, not fancy but very resonable. I was not impressed with the Plaza, slightly better rooms at twice the price and ridiculous walks to everything.

If you have a lower budget then Golden Reef Inn is a great place and Liz and Ed are a joy to hang out with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom