Bonaire Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefraff, I was thinking about starting at sand dollar and heading north for the day. Being able to enjoy each dive while checking out each resort. Its going to be our first time to Bonaire so I would like to see how each resort runs there dive op. Are the resorts close enough to be able to do something like that?

NDH:
Reefraff, I was thinking about starting at sand dollar and heading north for the day. Being able to enjoy each dive while checking out each resort. Its going to be our first time to Bonaire so I would like to see how each resort runs there dive op. Are the resorts close enough to be able to do something like that?

Will you have a vehicle? If not, you are not going to walk more than a couple of resorts up, and down to DenLaman is the same operator as Sand Dollar. If so, yes they are pretty close.

It is customary to check in with the local operator when diving their house reef. Some will say not necessary, some (BDA) may want you to sign a waiver, some (Habitat) will charge you ~$5 a day to use their dock and rinse tanks. I wouldn't even consider using tanks other than those from the operator I was paying for the service. I didn't have time to dive but one resort house reef while I was there, other than where I was staying.

The 6 of us will have two trucks, so we were thinking about parking one down a couple of resorts for a ride back to our 1st truck. That way after each dive we will able to relax having something to drink before getting back in. I believe that Belmar uses Buddy Dive OP.

NDH:
The Sand Dollar is close to a number of resorts - you can scope the situation out for yourself once you get there. The best way to get more out of a trip to Bonaire is to relax. Don't work too hard at planning things and trust the Universe to let some things happen.

I was thinking about starting at sand dollar and heading north for the day.
You do know that BelMar is in Belnem, south of town and the airport and probably 10mins. from Sand Dollar right? The smaller Buddy Dive op is there and it's a two minute drive south to all the best southern sites including the Pier, the Hooker etc. I stayed at BelMar recently so PM if you have any questions.

sjspeck, We are staying in the 3 bedroom 2 bath. To my understading the lockers are down stairs, are we going to be able to enter that area early in the morning and late at night? Or do we have to keep our dive gear in our rooms if we want to make 5am dives?
I love starting my day off with a early morning dive and finding a relaxing area to watch the sunrise underwater. What was the best thing you liked about Belmar?

Hi NDH, You weren't asking me, but I'll chime in anyway... You'll be able to access the lockers anytime you want. You'll get a key to an individual locker and they're located next to a rinse tank. Hmmm, the best thing about BelMar... that's a tough one, because I liked everything about it, but I guess my favorite thing would be the great balconies they have and enjoying the beautiful sunsets from that vantage point (and watching pods of dolphins swim by wasn't too shabby either). I also liked the location in Belnem. It's closer to the southern dive sites that we liked the best and my kids liked going to Donkey Beach everyday, which is right by BelMar.

We are really looking forward to going, now we just have to wait our turn. Belmar sounds like a great place. I'll be traveling quite a bit because I try to do at least 20-30 dives per trip. So that is why I asked so many ? about other resorts and using there docks between dives. Most of the time I will be in front of Belmar at 5am to start my day. From there I will be traveling to other dive sites. I know I can't see all the dive site in one week and I don't plan too but if I like one dive site a lot then I will just wait my time off there and jump back in.

Did you get my PM? Back to to your resort question:

On the north side, the resorts run side to side. Literally in one driveway, out and 200 yds. to the next. They all run perpendicular to the oceanfront. You could walk between them w/o gear from Cap't Don's,->Buddy's->Sand Dollar->Den Laman to Eden Beach.

Start at Bari Reef, it's the #1 Fish diversity site in the Caribbean. Pull in at the Bonaire Dive/Adventure sign it's closest to the dive dock. Then drive up to Capt. Don's and dive Cliff/LaMachaca north off their dock. Cliff is one of the few vertical walls in the area. When we dove it the current gently blew us right back to the divedock. CD charges $5. but you get to use the showers/lockers there. You could also maybe continue on south to Buddy's depending on your air consumption and truck placement.

I've never dove Buddy's reef, but I've read there's often Sea horses found around the mooring(they don't move much...) In case I forgot to mention it in my PM, change tanks at Buddy's, they have a drivethru in the back of the property.

fwiw, after 2.5 dives on BelMar's house reef, we'd had enough of it. How many Puffers and Turtles can you stand? :D

And one day do the Salt Pier, set it up through Buddy's as a DM has to go. Early morning when the sun is streaming through the pilings is best, it was a featured photo in Scubadiving recently.

From there, head farther south also, Invisibles right next door and Vista Blue are high on my list. As you get near the 1st reef at Invisibles look for the eels, there's hundreds of them. Current can be ripping from Vista Blue to the Lighthouse in the PM though. Most sites from White Slave south to Red Slave are called advanced.

Pink Beach is probably the nicest beach on Bonaire and drive down to the Slave huts during your SI. fyi, once you leave BelMar going south, there's no food, shade or water anywhere.

Keep talking folks, I'm just lurking and listening.

Heading to Buddy Dive at the end of April.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom