Bonaire Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjspeck, Thank you

specktrum, we will miss you by a week. Heading down May 5th. Were staying at Belmar.

reefraff
Although your dive plan sounds quite enjoyable, I'm not sure the dive operations would appreciate someone other than their paying guests using their tanks. I personally would not feel right to "borrow" a tank from a resort that I was not paying for the privelage/service. Even though tanks are most always available no matter what resort I choose, they are in fact the property of that resort/dive op. If it does not find it's way back to their inventory, they are out one tank. Unless, of course, you make sure that all tanks are returned to their proper owners.

Jetwrench

Was in Bonaire in October:

Had some great dives. Ate at some great restaurants. Would highly recommend the following shore dives:

1. The Lake
2. Larry's Lair

The week we were there, the wild side was calm. Big sea life is abundant. If it is not calm, Larry's Wild Side is a must do day-trip.

Stayed at Capt. Don's. Dive operation was great. People were awesome. The resort (which runs very separate) was terrible. Rooms were in terrible disrepair (and I was in several of them; got moved three times). Service was horrid. Some days room service would not even drop off fresh towels, had to shower with Beach towels. The front desk staff was extremely unfriendly. When I told the front desk I was very displeased and would let people know about it; they laughed ... yes they laughed!!!

Restaurant was terrible. Most people walked over to Buddy's and ate there. The joke in our group was Chicken was extinct animal at Capt. Don's (ie. you would order a chicken quesadilla and it would be all cheese). Service with a growl was pretty much the standard at the restaurant.

Everyone on the Island recommended Belmar and Buddy's. A couple of friends stayed at the Divi the week prior and raved about it.

Love Bonaire!!! I'd think twice about going back to Capt. Don's.

jcf

We'll be at the Sand Dollar in July... any comments? (I hear it doesn't have the 'landscaping' of some of the others, but the accommodations are stellar -- just looking for confirmation).

Jetwrench:
reefraff
Although your dive plan sounds quite enjoyable, I'm not sure the dive operations would appreciate someone other than their paying guests using their tanks. I personally would not feel right to "borrow" a tank from a resort that I was not paying for the privelage/service. Even though tanks are most always available no matter what resort I choose, they are in fact the property of that resort/dive op. If it does not find it's way back to their inventory, they are out one tank. Unless, of course, you make sure that all tanks are returned to their proper owners.

Jetwrench
A couple of good points and worth discussing. Though its nice to take a break between dives, one of the reasons we always have a snack and a soda at each stop is that it's a way to repay the resort for their expense. Perhaps not sufficiently but there is also a little bit of karma going on here, too: somebody else doing the same thing from another resort will "borrow" a tank from the place I'm staying at and repay the debt. I don't know if they still do it but we were told that many of the resorts get together a couple of times each year and hosted a party for their staffs; one of the activities at those shindigs was a tank swap, returning all of the "borrowed" cylinders to their rightful owner.

Perhaps my little bar hopping excursions do represent a minor ethical lapse but I can tell you that we've always been prepared to pay for a fill and that, thus far, none of the resorts has asked us to. We try to be good guests at all of the resorts and to repay them indirectly, especially when they're generous hosts and don't let their abacus get in the way of our having a good time. Maybe its an island thing...

I would not feel right about just swapping tanks without talking to someone. Are you just "prepared" to pay for a fill and wait for them to notice/ask, or do you bring it up? I would talk to someone there, tell them what you're doing, and would they fill your tank or would it be easier just to swap, and how much. Then if they say just swap tanks and don't worry about it, which they very well might, then great.

At many resorts the restaurant is not financially related to the dive op or hotel so having a snack & drink does nothing to pay the shop.

For those who are worrying about the legal and ethical ramifications of this, all I can say is that you might benefit from a vacation. :D

Some of you could take the fun out of a parade. Stop clucking, relax and learn to let the good times roll. Maybe on your next trip to Bonaire you'll find yourself sitting at the bar next to a couple of folks from the resort next door that are doing an underwater bar-hop. If you're fun, we might even ask you to join us!

Ok. Several questions... what is PDB.
Next question... this will be our first dive trip we are planning ourselves. Which resort do you guys think is the best one to start out at?
Third question... has anyone ever tried bringing their kids on dive trips? They have kids clubs at some of the hotels where they can snorkel and do driftwood paintings and such. Is that worth it, or just way too much of a pain in the butt? I want to involve my daughter, but I don't even know if she will have a good time if we drop her off during the day while we dive. She is almost seven years old and wants to be a certified scuba diver someday so this might be good practice. Anyone have experience with this in Bonaire?

Ok. I posted without realizing this thread went three pages! I am going to read more. I am sure someone has answered my resort question at least.

naughtyrn:
Next question... this will be our first dive trip we are planning ourselves. Which resort do you guys think is the best one to start out at?
Third question... has anyone ever tried bringing their kids on dive trips? They have kids clubs at some of the hotels where they can snorkel and do driftwood paintings and such. Is that worth it, or just way too much of a pain in the butt? I want to involve my daughter, but I don't even know if she will have a good time if we drop her off during the day while we dive. She is almost seven years old and wants to be a certified scuba diver someday so this might be good practice. Anyone have experience with this in Bonaire?

Ok. I posted without realizing this thread went three pages! I am going to read more. I am sure someone has answered my resort question at least.
\\

PBD- Post Bonaire Depression...most of us who like the island really miss the place and hence PBD. 99% chance you will get it :)

On Water--Buddy Dive- The Dive and Drive plan incudes everything you need to get you started on the right foot. (Condo, diving,breakfast and a vehicle- all of which you will want/need)

Off Water- Golden Reef Inn- Smaller place just off the water but less expensive and Liz is a super host.

naughtyrn:

Buddy Dive does have a kids club on site.

Back
Top Bottom