Bonaire Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For the first post in this forum please post those Bonaire recommendations, tips, dive sites, accommodation or dining recommendations that you've discovered while diving there.

I'll start:

Favorite Dive sites:

Bari Reef - A Reef Fish Survey site and the number one dive site for species diversity in the entire Atlantic Ocean.

Forest - an interesting site off Klein Bonaire that has black coral at 70'.

Salt Pier - just a great dive between the pilings of the Salt Pier. Now DM led only.

Vista Blue - the best shoredive we did on Bonaire although the current was ripping.

Dining:

Casablanca - excellent food, pretty good value and more than you can eat generally.

Donna/Giorgios - great for Pizza and Pasta

It Rains Fishes - great view, great food but pricier.

Bonaire tips:

Just about everybody takes a siesta in the afternoon from about 12-1 or even 2pm. So most stores etc. close down during that time. Plan for it.

In a lot of Bonaire restaurants you're welcome to stay as long as you like. So you generally have to ask for the check.

Bonaire runs on island time, everything takes a little longer there. Get used to it, you're on vacation.

When leaving, pay your Bonaire departure tax and get your receipt before you try to go through customs/immigration. It's currently $20pp. payable at the window to the south of the check-in counter at the airport.

That's all from me, hopefully this thread will become a resource that we can direct Bonaire travelers to.

I highly recommend Larry's Wildside diving as a fun diversion. You should be comfortable splashing in slightly rougher water than is found elsewhere on the island.

If you are interested in technical training, Walter Stark is a very good instructor.

Here are a few:
US dollars are accepted most everwhere but bills greater than $20 are hard to spend, esp in the smaller shops and resturants. ATMs are located several places on the island at which you can get USD or Guilders.

The water on the island is safe to drink and you should drink lots of it.

WARNING - There is but one known cure for PBD.

Do as many night dives as possible. It will be your best opportunity to do so while you are in Bonaire because of the easy shore diving. The night is so different and the "night shift" of coral and fish species is all together different than in the day time.

Night dives are few and far between most places you go because you are nearly always subject to boat dives. Most night diving from boats, at resorts or at most charter destinations, are at best twice a week and then they are usually one tank dives done at dusk.

Next time I go to Boniare I hope to do nothing but night dives. It is a nice change from the same old, same old stuff you see in the day time and the pictures come out great.

Take advantage of the Bonaire shore diving and get in the night dives and experience it as much as you can. It's fun and you can do the day dives everywhere else you go.

Wherever you stay be sure they have adequate security before you book. Piece of mind is worth a few extra bucks while you are on vacation. Best places to stay IMO, Buddy's or Captain Don's. I'm not familiar with all of the places one could stay but of those I have visited they are one and two on my list.

Favorite dives would be Hilma Hooker, Oil Slick, Town Pier, and Bachelor's Beach.

And you are right Herman................the symptoms can only be treated not cured.

Resort hopping:
Grab a tank, hit the water and have a leisurely dive to the next resort. Get out of the water, enjoy a (non-alcoholic) beverage and a snack at the resort, swap your tank and get back in the water. Head for the next resort, rinse, lather, repeat. It's a great way to get to see a number of resorts and to swap tales with some divers you otherwise wouldn't get to meet. If you run out of steam and don't want to tread the path in reverse, call a cab and let them drive you home.

The flamingos:
Somehow, someday, find the time to visit a flamingo flock. They're incredible birds and fun to watch.

Washington Slaagbai Park:
Worth an afternoon - the terrain is different from the rest of the park and, though its dry, its beautiful.

Island food:
Talk to the locals and find yourself somewhere to go to try the local food. Its an interesting creole and the experience will give you a better understanding - and appreciation - of your hosts. The grocery stores can be an interesting experience, too.

Papiemento:
The native tongue is a creole of Spanish, Dutch, English and a number of African dialects. Its a musical language, where tone conveys almost as much meaning as the actual words. Learn a few words before you arrive, add a few more every day while you're there and you'll have more fun and earn a bit of respect from the locals for your efforts.

Favorite Dives:
Playa Funchi, Joanna's Suunchi, Mi Dushi, Karpata, Red Slave, Hilma Hooker...they're all pretty good.

I have a ?, can you go from one dive resort to the next using there tanks?
That would be a great way to spend a day. My wife and I have never been and just booked a week in May at Belmar.

NDH:
I have a ?, can you go from one dive resort to the next using there tanks?
That would be a great way to spend a day. My wife and I have never been and just booked a week in May at Belmar.
If you're reasonably discreet, most of the resorts have tanks standing near the water so that guests can grab one and go. So long as you leave an empty, they don't much mind. Be a good guest - buy a snack and a smoothie and have a good time and you'll be worth the minor expense. It's a chance for them to be nice to you and who knows, maybe on your next visit you'll decide to stay with them.

Go slow and stay shallow. It can be a bit of a swim from one resort to the next and you don't want to wade the last bit. From the BelMar dock to the Plaza is a kind of strange swim - you'll pass through the rubble fields left over from the construction of the airport and the canals at the Plaza. Stop in at the Coconut Crash and have a basket of frikadeller and ask them for directions to the Divi - thats always a great way to get a conversation started. :14:

Before you head on to the Divi, the reef at the Plaza (18 Palms) is definitely worth a tank of air. There's a terrific bench on the reef that's got quite an eel garden in it, so hurrying only gets you somewhere faster, not better.

sjspeck:
Bonaire tips:

Just about everybody takes a siesta in the afternoon from about 12-1 or even 2pm. So most stores etc. close down during that time. Plan for it.

In a lot of Bonaire restaurants you're welcome to stay as long as you like. So you generally have to ask for the check.

Bonaire runs on island time, everything takes a little longer there. Get used to it, you're on vacation.

Steve,

The quoted tips are EXTREMELY important to remember while visiting Bonaire! Great job! As an American both living and working within the hospitality industry on Bonaire, many Americans do not realized that Bonaire is NOT an "Americanize" island. It does however take a few days to "decompress", so when visiting just remember the Bonairean phrase "poco poco", which loosely translated means "take it easy". Believe it or not, regarding the restaurant comment, it is "rude" to bring a check that is not ask for, so you have to ask for the check when you are ready. Also, all of the restaurants cook from scratch, so you will find that you may wait a bit longer for your meals, but definitely worth it. They also tend to have a European way of eating, where it is normal to "rest" between courses. Bonaireans are a friendly bunch and will normally offer information if asked, so please feel free to ask. Not sure if they speak English? Most do, but ask in Papiamentu, they will be impressed! The phrase is "Papia Inglais?" While we are phrases, here are a few to help you all out:

Good morning, good day, spoken before noon: Bon dia
Good afternoon, spoken after noon until dark: Bon tardi
Good evening or when leaving good night: Bon Nochi
Thank you: Danki
Have a good week, only spoken on Mondays: bon siman
Have a good weekend: Bon weekend!
See you later: Te awor (Te is pronounced Ta, with a long a)
Sweet, or sweetie, sweetheart: dushi If you want to tell someone you like the fish you are eating you would say "dushi piska"!
Goodbye: Ayo (pronounced I-O).

Hope this helps!

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom