Bonaire in August - Helpful Tips please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello! My buddy and I will be going to Bonaire in the middle of August. It will be our first trip so we are really excited!!! :D

I wanted to know which restaurants to avoid and which are good places to go and eat? (keep in mind, we're on a budget, no $50+ plates :) )

What are your favorite dive sites in Bonaire and why?

Which exposure suit should I wear - a shorty or a skin suit?

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks yall!

ScubaJW:
I wanted to know which restaurants to avoid and which are good places to go and eat? (keep in mind, we're on a budget, no $50+ plates :) )

1. Bobby Jan's BBQ. Just North of town. Best ribs ever and cheap. You can eat there or do take out.

2. Pasa Bon Pizza - again, just North of town

3. Bongo's - on the beach - North of town

4. Antriol Catering - in Antriol. If you want, I can give you directions. You need to call them. It is local - very local...and good!

5. Julio's - on Kaya Grande

6. Lost Penguin - in town

ScubaJW:

1. Salt Pier - just amazing and mezmorizing
2. Ole' Blue - you see everything
3. Tori's Reef - long swim out to the reef but worth it
4. Angel City - Double reef
5. Chocogo - If conditions are good here, lots of soft corals and different topography
6. The Cliff - says it all in the name

ScubaJW:

That is an individual thing. I wear a skin, full 3mm suit with neo hood and am comfortable. Hubby wears a t-shirt and shorts and is hot!

ScubaJW:
Any words of wisdom?
Thanks yall!

Take a drive around the South end of the island over to Lac Bay.
Go to the donkey sanctuary
Say hi to the fishies for me :)

ScubaJW:

So far, Alice in Wonderland, Windsock, Bonaventure (Klein), and both Cliff and Front Porch at night.

ScubaJW:

I started with a 3/2 shorty but found I was more comfortable with a 3/2 full over the long run with so many repetitive dives. That was at the end of June, the middle of August will be warmer.

ScubaJW:
Any words of wisdom?

Hard sole dive boots.

One more thing. Pick up Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter. She just did the 2005-2006 update. There are unmarked sites in the book and she does a good job of describing entries, level (beg, int, adv) and things that are unique to each site. You can get it on island, or order it through

http://www.bonairestuff.com.

ScubaJW:
Zee Zicht
Donna & Giorgio's
City Cafe
KFC in town(they sell beer!!)
If you do want to try something nicer, there's Casablanca($$$), nicer than that is It Rains Fishes($$$$)

Unless you go to Capt' Don's or one of the other more "American" resorts, at most restaurants they probably won't bring a check till you ask for it as it's considered rude to rush you.
Salt Pier in the morning - the sun through the pilings is outstanding.
Rappel - one of the best sites, boat accessible only.
Bari Reef - it's an official REEF fish survey site and is the reef with the most counted fish species anywhere in the Caribbean.
Cliff - as mentioned above, it's a nice shallow vertical wall
Angel City - look for the big blue sponge to the south in the sand between the reefs.

If you get out to Klein on a boat, there's:

Forest - Black Coral at 70'
Hands Off - A drift dive.

I wore a t-shirt, the water will be at least 82'. But you may want more protection, there is a LOT of fire coral, especially at the sites south of the airport. Don't even think of sliding down the buoy rope at most of them. And remember - no gloves allowed.
Any words of wisdom?
As everyone(including the rental agents) will tell you, don't leave anything in the truck at a remote divesite that you don't want to lose. And leave the doors open/windows down. Don't worry about any extra tanks in the back, they won't get taken since they can't get filled except by the diveop that own's them.

Once you've gone through orientation and attached your BMP tag to your BC, you'll never need to show your C-Card again - even if you dive with someone other than your resort operator.

When leaving, pay your exit tax and get the receipt at the airport window - the green awning north of the store/ticket counters - before you stand in line to check-in. You can't go through customs/immigration without it.

The above info is very good. Hear is some things we do:
1) Pack snack food if you are staying where there is a kitchenette.
2) Pack swim suits that can double as shorts, the dress code at Bonaire is very causal.
3) Pack bug spray for going out in the evening. I don't know what chews on my legs, but the bug spray stops it.
I have found that most dive sites are good. One year this is my favorite, next year it changes to another site, so don't be afraid to try some not mentioned her. My personal favorites is Old Blue, Karpata, and Red Slave.
Tim

The first thing you'll need to do is "unplug". Set yourself to island time, and all will be good :wink:

Have a great time!

You can get a full rack of "fall off the bone tender" baby back ribs (I love the spicy sauce) and a cold Polar for under $15 at the Rib Factory downtown above the KFC in the mall.

All the dive sites mentioned are good. For a diversion, take a boat ride over to Klein.

Back
Top Bottom