Bonaire Grand Disapointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just got back from a wonderful week in Bonaire - My 14th trip in 12 years.

Had a grand slam this trip. It seems that someone - BOPEC is blamed - has put a big sign at the boat ramp which is also the entry site for the Windjammer or Maria Bahn wreck.

The sign says in several languages
No fishing
No swimming
No diving
No boatlaunch without prior permission
No open fires

One resident tek person checked with STINAPA who says that BOPEC put the sign there but the only enforcement they have is to ask you to leave. He also stated that as non-residents we probably shouldn't dive there because we might get caught in the Bureaucratic shuffle.

Not only the Maria Bahn but the whole reef at that site is probably one of the finest dives in Bonaire. The coral is fantastic and there are turtles on most every dive.

Some of the tek guys make a great portion of their living at the site. The operations manager at my resort said that the dive operators were scheduling a meeting with the government this week.

How long can the diver's paradise remain so if they start arbitrarily closing their best sites?

Tom:
I am not familiar with what you are referring to. Is this on the windward side of the island?

Natasha:
Tom:
I am not familiar with what you are referring to. Is this on the windward side of the island?
I don't know my windward from my leeward but the Windjammer - Mairi Bhan is a deep (deco) wreck in about 180 fsw. by the boat ramp near the BOPEC plant up north. Supposed to be a great tek dive, but too deep for me...

Directions here:
http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/30/193109.html?1104164095

Wreck info here:
http://www.dreamwrecks.com/windjammer.htm

Steve

If you leave Karpata and turn left at the intersection and take the long and scenic road back to Rincon there is a rock wall where the road makes a 90 degree turn toward Goto Meer. Behind the rock wall is a "public" boat ramp and a fish cleaning shed.

The Windjammer is a deep wreck that should be done only by those properly trained and equipped. However, the reef above is one of the most colorful and wonderful dives to be had. Most every time I have done this reef there have been turtles.

It appears that folks are ignoring the sign and the Marine Park is looking into the legality of it.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks Tom & Steve. I wasn't aware of the Windjammer. Good info. We'll see if any people on the island ring in on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom