Bonaire Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octopuppy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Would appreciate any updates from anyone there.

KRALENDIJK, Bonaire (AP) — A huge fire caused by a lightning strike has halted operations at a Venezuelan fuel terminal on the Dutch island of Bonaire.

Island Gov. Glenn Thode says crews have isolated the fire and should extinguish it by the end of Thursday.

The fire is visible across the small island in the southern Caribbean that is best known as a destination for divers. Thode says there have been no injuries or damage to other parts of the island.

Venezuela's state-owned petroleum company owns and operates the terminal for shipments abroad and the local market. Petroleos de Venezuela says operations have been halted by the fire that was sparked Wednesday when lighting struck a tank containing the oil product naphtha.

We can see it from the hotel here. It started yesterday with a lot of smoke in what appeared to be at least 3 different areas of the terminal, but no obvious fire - a couple of what appeared to be fire ships were hauling ass over there yesterday afternoon. This morning things seem to be a lot worse - only one fire appears to be burning, but it is *burning*. Nobody knows what the impacts are going to be as yet - not sure if any of the oil/fuel (not sure which is burning) is leaking at all onto the reef (hopefully not). The park is currently closed, but that is likely due to smoke more than anything else. I'll take a few pictures and see if I can figure out how to post them. I'll post if I receive any updates, but at this point nobody who knows anything appears to be saying much.

Dave

This takes me to the Bonaire Talk page. Where to I need to burrow to find the actual pictures?

Click on BonaireTalk Newsgroup, scroll down to Local Items, and there's a thread discussing it near the top, 'Bopec on Fire.'

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom