Bonaire diver orientation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How long does the required diver orientation session last in Bonaire? Can you dive the day you arrive? My flight lands at 5:00 am the day that we arrive.

If your staying at Buddy, they also give you some dog and pony about the facility. Where tanks are, where nitrox analizers are located, where to put empty tanks..that sort of thing. It takes about an hour. We did the Continental flight a couple of weeks ago and were about 1 hr late getting in. We got there in time to eat breakfast, get in the room, do the orientation thing and were doing the orientation dive by around 10am. Followed by lunch and 2 more dives that afternoon.

Theresa,

Depending on how who is doing the orientation it can take 10-25 minutes. You then taken an "orientation dive". This dive's purpose is to make sure you are comfortable and in control of your bouyance, for the most part, and to make sure your gear is working fine and you feel comfortable. Neutral Bouyance on Bonaire is VERY IMPORTANT as we are all concerned as to the health and well being of the reef. We don't want people smacking into coral (they are living creatures) resulting in death of a coral, or people to get hurt or injuried because their gear (not that it can't happen anytime) fails their first dive....better safe than sorry....

laserdoc:
I take it a diver can not wear gloves,,,,right?
You are correct. No gloves. You can get special permission from the Marine Park if you have jellyfish allergies, etc. But it requires a doctor's note, and you have to carry the Marine Park exception paper with you when you dive.

The orientation does vary from shop to shop. 1/2 hour to an hour. We've never seen a video in 6 trips, what dive shop shows a video? Just curious :)

On the "checkout dive," you are not accompanied by anyone from the shop (unless you hire a DM). It's kind of a misconception, and some folks think that someone will go with you. They do ask that you do your first dive on the hosue reef to check your weights, bouyancy, etc.

Have a great trip!

[QUOTE=It takes about an hour.

That doesn't sound too bad. I was hoping to be able to dive the day we arrive, so I don't see why I couldn't....I'm a little excited, can't you tell.

If you are on the Continental flight. You can dive all you want the first day.

Just drink lots of water.

The orientation dive at Buddy's was step of the dock and dive. If you survive and return, then you can dive. :)

Plaza did the video, then showed you around a little, and then a dive to get your weighting right. DMs were in the water but they kind of did there own thing and just watched from a distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom