• Richards

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Pizza Limena

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donna & Georgio's

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We tried Cactus Blue and found it to be way over priced for the quality of the food. I also found out the hard way why they don't put prices on the dessert menu. $11 for a piece of Key Lime Pie is pretty ridiculous.

I wouldn't eat at the Lion's Den at Buddy Dive again either because of the price to quality ratio. Keep in mind if you do eat there that they add the service charge to the bill. Even though we talked to the waitress about tipping she never mentioned that it is already included on the bill and I didn't noticed it until the second time we were there.

We did enjoy the food at the Beach Bar at Buddy Dive and the price of the daily special is pretty good; usually about $12. Too bad they were only open a few days a week when we were there although they had plans to go to 7 days a week.

As mentioned by most above Pasa Bon Pizza was also good and reasonably priced. Great music too.

Pasa Bon Pizza, Wil's, Patagonia, Bistro de Paris, El Fagon, Plazita Limena, BobbeJans area all favorites for dinner with Wil's, Patagonia and Bistro being the more expensive of the list. Have heard good things about the new Thai restaurant above the Harley shop. Don't usually eat lunch at a restaurant as it is much more convenient to pick up lunch foods at the grocery store and eat between dives. On Saturdays you can pick up a whole roasted chicken at Carnecera Latina and it will last the week for lunches.

Well... we haven't been to Bonaire since 2007 but I can give a few opinions from that timeframe.

Buddy Dive pool cafe - lunchtime, service slow but food pretty good. Be sure to tell them well done on a burger or else it will be European style and almost raw. Other dishes, especially the specials like the chicken sate were excellent. When we were staying there, food was half-price up to $75pp for a week. We ate there 5 times so we got our money's worth. Don't know if worth it if you are staying at another resort.

Lions Den at Buddy's... dinner, food was excellent when we were there. Even a burger and fries! We ate there 2 times, once before a night dive (burgers and fries, brought down to us at a table on beach) and once in restaurant with a group. Food is a bit pricey but right in line with other places on the island. We thought the oceanfront open air was wonderful.

Cactus Blue... at there once, not overly impressed. Service was typically slow and prices a bit much for portion size. I would try it again and order something different.

best lunches or snacks between meals..... fresh gouda cheese, ham in bread rolls purchased at the grocery store and eaten in our room!!

next trip we will hit the grocery store on Saturday.. and we will take a jar of PB for lunches. We took down snacks and gatoraid powder canister. Bought water bottles at grocery store, made gatoraid to drink between dives, eat granola bars. Saves a bunch of money!

robin:D

Last year we had great meals at Cappriccios, Richards and Mona Lisa. Incredible fresh fish, they only have and serve what the fishermen have delivered that day. Cappriccios had incredibly friendly service and excellent wine. Richards was a great place overlooking the water (bring bug spray) with great service and awesome fish. Mona Lisa was great Italian tilt to local ingredients.

It Rains Fishes was fairly pricey - It Rains Fishes | Bar & Restaurant, Bonaire - Menu (left) | soups | starter | salads | fishes | seafood | menu | (left)
nice atmosphere, good service and downtown harbor views. It was our "last evening" choice.

Bobby-Jans is takeout. Smelled great.

I liked Donna/Giorgios although service was on island time. I don't think it was over $20pp.

Casablanca has their menu online: Casablanca Bonaire
Better than average food and there's a lot of it....

LaGuernica also: La Guernica Bonaire - never ate there.

For lunch: Wattaburger, KFC, maybe Rumrunners at Habitat and there's now a deli near the north resorts - IDK where exactly.

I posted a pretty lengthy list of the places we tried in our trip review from back in August: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5438319-post7.html

I continue to be amazed that anyone can recommend Cactus Blue, it's pretty much the only place on the island I won't ever bother to eat at again.

Casablanca has their menu online: Casablanca Bonaire
Better than average food and there's a lot of it....

For lunch: Wattaburger, KFC, maybe Rumrunners at Habitat and there's now a deli near the north resorts - IDK where exactly.

Casablanca go early in the week, get the mixed grill, ask that it be done medium well. Lunch and snack on the leftovers - price (think) $45US for two. Includes small salad bar and potato. Wattaburger - 2 burgers, fries and beers for less then $20US, sit and eat waterside. KFC - miss the downtown location - pick up a bucket for lunch and snacks. Eli Deli is on the circle north of town, basically across from Sand$$ and Den Lamen. More typical deli fare.

I continue to be amazed that anyone can recommend Cactus Blue, it's pretty much the only place on the island I won't ever bother to eat at again.

Agreed, after a few lackluster meals and bad service plus overpriced drinks in a near empty restaurant, CB has been off our radar for a couple years.

Add your list higher end establishments Sense and Wils Tropical Grill. Sense is more nouveau cuisine in a sleek Euro-setting (smoked barracuda and sushi tuna appetizers were yummy), Wils more traditional fare in a garden-like setting, both excellent. Figure $30US per (app + entree). Mona Lisa is my all time fav, very reasonable wine list, prix fixe 3 course meal $45US. Make reservations early for the aforementioned, they are small, popular and fill up fast.

RumRunner's at Capt Don's is good, wide range of offerings and reasonably priced. Entrees from $10 - $20. Make advance reservations, request a table on the water and watch the tarpon feed during twilight hours (spotlights illuminate the water).

As others suggest, eat breakfast and lunch in and venture out for relaxing dinners. European style dining, so do not expect to blow in and out within an hour. Relax, linger, people watch. Ask for the check when you are ready.

Whatever you do, do not venture forth without bug spray and lots of it. :no: I'd expect the next couple months to be brutal with all the recent rain. I've already packed my 2 bottles of bug spray!

Surprised no one mentioned Mi Bannana or Mailky Snack..Both very good local eats.and inexpensive..One of the DM's @ Buddy Dive-Carlos- his family owns and runs Mi Bannana.

Surprised no one mentioned Mi Bannana or Mailky Snack..Both very good local eats.and inexpensive..One of the DM's @ Buddy Dive-Carlos- his family owns and runs Mi Bannana.

Or the Rib&Chicken truck by the Stadium:shocked2:

I've been to Mi Bananna several times. Good food, cheap and enpretentious. Certainly not fancy, but good solid Columbian style meals each time there.

Back
Top Bottom