• Richards

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Pizza Limena

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donna & Georgio's

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted a pretty lengthy list of the places we tried in our trip review from back in August: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5438319-post7.html

I continue to be amazed that anyone can recommend Cactus Blue, it's pretty much the only place on the island I won't ever bother to eat at again.
Your review didn't specify what you had at Cactus Blue. I've been three times now and had excellent meals each time, including one of the best steaks I've ever had. Their tuna is my favorite, big bowls of soup always hit the spot, and they have an interesting selection of appetizers. I've been to the island 4 times now, we dine out every night, and CB still stands out as my overall favorite. Sorry you were disappointed, but that's the subjective nature of food appreciation.

What? No Casablanca? Ate there the last 2 years and thought it was one of if not the best rib eye I have ever eaten. Must be the lack of steroids or chemicals in the food the cattle in Argentina eat.

I am definitely looking forward to having steak at least one night. The only thing is...I like a very seasoned steak. I'm not a throw a piece of meat on the grill and cook it type of person. Is there a restaurant there that has a good seasoned "rib eye"?

ie: bob chins has an excellent seasoned rib eye...

My last 2 trips to Bonaire I had GREAT rib-eyes at Patagonia.

I am definitely looking forward to having steak at least one night.

Warning: a lot of the beef on Bonaire is Argentine beef, and from what I'm told, tastes considerably different to some people than U.S. beef. Some people who go into an experience with a strong expectation of a particular aesthetic experience who then get 'something else' react badly, so I'm suggested being 'open-minded' if you try it.

Richard.

Warning: a lot of the beef on Bonaire is Argentine beef, and from what I'm told, tastes considerably different to some people than U.S. beef. Some people who go into an experience with a strong expectation of a particular aesthetic experience who then get 'something else' react badly, so I'm suggested being 'open-minded' if you try it..
The primary difference between U.S. and Argentine beef is that Argentine beef is fed on grass, which is what cows naturally eat, and U.S. beef is fed (fattened) on corn, which actually makes them sick. Grass-fed beef tends to be leaner, which often translates to chewier, though proper aging can help with that. I don't really notice the difference in taste so much as the texture.

Argentine steakhouses like Patagonia and Casablanca will offer a condiment called chimichurri with the beef, a sort of a pesto made from garlic, olive oil, and parsley. Cactus Blue serves an Argentine filet with a choice of various sauces (I've had the red wine reduction) that is perfectly aged and as tender as any corn-fed filet I've had at Morton's, The Palm, Ruth's Chris, etc. (though not as good as the $72 American kobe filet at Stripsteak in Vegas that I ingested a few days ago).

It sure beats goat!

I have to admit that over the years that we've been going to Bonaire, we are more likely to bring our own meat (including sliced luncheon meats, frozen & packed in Dry Ice) as well as some carbs like rice or pasta. We then fill in the rest with stuff from Cultimara like cheese or their own in-house bread.

Since we stay at Buddys, the breakfasts are part of the package & well worth it.

All that being said, many of our favourites have already been listed by Bonaire regulars that are not on the original survey list like Cactus Blue, Julios, Wattaburger, etc.

FYI, it's worth waiting for the weekend when bobbejan's is open. Mmmmm... :D

Well I am a little nervous but have an open mind. So should I assume that the meat is not seasoned being that they offer various sauces? Hmm, should I bring my own season? That wont offend them right? lol

Well I tend to favor the rib eye because of the marbled fat. So I am also assuming that it will not be like that due to the Argentine meat being leaner?

We ate at Ruth's not too long ago. I wasn't real impressed, i think I was expecting too much. But, it was good don't get me wrong. HEY at least it wasn't $72.00 :crazyeye:

Yes, US cattle and chicken are fed corn and it does make the meat more tender from the marbling. When we were stationed in GE the military bought meat from UK. OMG, what a difference in taste and texture! Everyone complained for years about the beef in particular (it was like rubber or stringy and flavorless) and they finally started importing beef from US at a higher price. Really really can taste a difference. I don't eat beef much at all anymore so I haven't tried it in Bonaire... I just know whenever we go out of US and my husband orders beef, he can tell the difference. BTW, the chicken even tastes very different and are less fat, but in that case it isn't a bad thing. The chickens are probably not injected with hormones like here in US.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom