Trip Report Bonaire: Den Laman and Dive Friends, October 20-November 3, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome report, and great pictures. Really appreciate the "on the ground" phots of the gear storage, tank pickup, pier and grounds. I always forget to take those photos on trips, they are very helpful to others looking at visiting a particular location.

Interesting to hear about the variance of species on your trip vs some other recent trip reports. I think I read another report of someone who saw 8-10 turtles in a single dive, and it sounds like you only saw a few the whole trip. Just a good reminder that it's a big ocean!

Diving: We had fantastic weather on this trip, mostly sunny and warm, little wind and rain. Water temperatures were 83-85 degrees, we were very comfortable in our 3 mm full suits, even with 4 dives and more than 4 ½ hours in the water in a day. Visibility was good, generally about 80 feet, varying from about 50 or 60 feet to 100 feet. Current was nil to mild on most dives. We had moderate south current on a couple of late afternoons on Bari Reef, work on the way north but flying on the way back. Dive Friends tanks were very reliable with an average fill of 3060 psi (2870-3290 psi) and nitrox always running 31-32%

I did 45 dives on this trip, 19 boat dives and 26 shore dives. I got in nearly 52 hours of dive time. The boats left from the Sand Dollar/Den Laman pier and visited nice, complimentary sites off Klein Bonaire and to the north, not accessible from shore.

The reefs in general, and the corals, were in good shape. To me, there seemed to be significantly less red algae than there was two years ago, though were still areas that are more affected. It was very nice to see many very large, healthy brain corals, in light of stony coral tissue loss disease, affecting many areas. It’s funny how the sea life varies from visit to visit. We saw fewer turtles and Tiger Grouper and no octopi. There were eels all over, mostly Spotted, but quite a few Green, Goldentail, and even a few Chain Morays. Sharptail eels were everywhere, along with their numerous hunting companions. The highlight of this visit was a large, bright yellow frogfish and her much smaller mate that were located just a 5 minute swim north of the Sand Dollar/Den Laman pier in 35 feet of water. We visited the pair numerous times during our 2 week stay. At first it was a secret, but, by the end of our trip, there was almost always divers there. Tarpon were all over the place, the usual reef denizens were well represented. Large schools of Boga, Blue Tang, Brown and Blue Chromis, and Creole Wrasse were just gorgeous.

Bonaire is easy, relaxing diving, the opposite of my July trip to Malpelo. Bonaire is my wife’s favorite diving location, and I love diving with my wife. We hope to get back again once or twice in 2022.

View attachment 691023

View attachment 691024

View attachment 691025

View attachment 691026

View attachment 691027

View attachment 691028

View attachment 691029

View attachment 691030

View attachment 691031

View attachment 691032
Great & very detailed trip report as always!

I love to see the yawning Frogfish. At one time when I was in Cocos, I waited for few minutes to capture the moment.

Love the photos; jealous of the frog fish. It's great to see a large, intact elkhorn coral. Good to hear there are still many intact brain corals; it'd be a tragedy if disease decimated them all. Seeking Dive Friend's pier brings back memories.
Thank you, King of the trip report :). It was a pleasure meeting you 2 years ago in Bonaire. How time flies

Likewise. It does indeed, and I hope to be blessed to get back to Bonaire is 2022.

There are other places with things Bonaire doesn't have (or at least I haven't seen there), but the shore diving freedom is wonderful. I think of it as my 'scuba home.' I love live-aboard trips and I love seeing 'big stuff,' but after a couple of trips elsewhere, I start feeling the draw of 'home.'

Great report, thnx 4 sharing

...Interesting to hear about the variance of species on your trip vs some other recent trip reports. I think I read another report of someone who saw 8-10 turtles in a single dive, and it sounds like you only saw a few the whole trip. Just a good reminder that it's a big ocean!
We actually saw 3 turtles on one dive, just not as many as usual. We also saw Tiger Grouper, just smaller and not as many as on some visits. I wondered if some of the larger Tiger Grouper may have succumbed to fishing pressure during the pandemic.

So, what about the Chogogo Resort?

For background, see Two new resorts announced for the old Sunset Beach property near Bari Reef and the BES Reporter article from July 2020 Chogogo Resort Bonaire Takes Shape - BES Reporter

We had not seen the construction site since our visit two years ago Trip Report - Bonaire: Den Laman and Dive Friends, Sept 28-Oct 12, 2019 Over the two years, there has been a lot of construction, but it appears that there is still much to do. We heard from several people that limited occupancy may begin this month, hard to believe, but you never know. It has not been entirely smooth sailing for the development, see the recent BES Reporter article regarding the beach Chogogo Resort threatens to take Bonaire Government to Court over intended fine - BES Reporter

1636984900689.png

1636984950328.png

In the foreground, after an afternoon thunderstorm, you can see the large mud lake covering the entryway to the public access to Bari Reef

1636984981103.png

There is a huge pile of construction sand in the area of the development that will include the two pools and the beach side of the lazy river

We were in a south facing two bedroom apartment in 2019 and the construction noise and dust were quite apparent. Though work is very active, we did not hear or see much on this visit, from our west facing, ocean front apartment.

It is hard to imagine the impact of this large resort on the local area. It is not clear what proportion of visitors will be non-divers vs. divers. Apparently, Dive Friends has heard nothing about a dive operation. The drawing in the 2020 BES Reporter article shows a pier. The old Sunset Beach Hotel had a pier, not clear what the current permits include.

I guess that time will tell. I look forward to updates from future visitors. I'm hoping I will have the opportunity to return next year.

As if we weren't already excited about checking into the Parrotfish this Saturday (assuming we clear all entry testing hurdles later this week :oops:)... thanks so much for the detailed trip report @scubadada!

As if we weren't already excited about checking into the Parrotfish this Saturday (assuming we clear all entry testing hurdles later this week :oops:)... thanks so much for the detailed trip report @scubadada!
@Soloist sent me a message today from Bonaire, the yellow frogfish are still in the same place on Bari Reef, waiting for you.

Have a great trip, let us know all about it. Tell Simon and Cecile hello from Craig and Marie

Before construction began on the "Chogogo Resort" the Bari Reef parking area had always seemed a little isolated for my comfort, especially for a night dive. Only dived it once. It will no longer be isolated, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. On my last trip I saw the construction but didn't realize what looked like condos to me would actually be a "resort." Maybe it fits the Dutch demographic's idea of a resort.

Back
Top Bottom