Trip Report Bonaire: Den Laman and Dive Friends, October 20-November 3, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...On my last trip I saw the construction but didn't realize what looked like condos to me would actually be a "resort." Maybe it fits the Dutch demographic's idea of a resort.
I don't know. It seems like it will be marketed largely to Dutch visitors with "close cooperation with the Tui travel organization". You've probably seen Tui planes at Flamingo.
1637013314283.png

It is said it will have 196 apartments with "well equipped kitchens", 5 villas, 2 pools, the lazy river around the resort, 2 restaurants, and perhaps, the pier.

What bothers me about that photo is the beach. If this were Aruba, that'd be fine. But Bonaire? Are they planning to try to make a manmade beach that looks like that, with a gentle slope out into the water? If so, very bad news for the reef, since the sand isn't going to stay put long term.
We have been told that they have already been fined $1.2m by STINAPA. The sand was supposed to be completely contained but had already been getting onto the reef. Also told that construction was halted until they resolved the issue. (Not sure if the figure is 100% accurate as it has come via a couple of people!!)

@Soloist sent me a message today from Bonaire, the yellow frogfish are still in the same place on Bari Reef, waiting for you.

Have a great trip, let us know all about it. Tell Simon and Cecile hello from Craig and Marie
The frog fish were still there two hours ago! There is a third in 7 - 8m about 10 minutes further North. It is harder to find but it has been there for the last week.

What bothers me about that photo is the beach. If this were Aruba, that'd be fine. But Bonaire? Are they planning to try to make a manmade beach that looks like that, with a gentle slope out into the water? If so, very bad news for the reef, since the sand isn't going to stay put long term.
The umbrellas on the beach appear to be aspirational

The frog fish were still there two hours ago! There is a third in 7 - 8m about 10 minutes further North. It is harder to find but it has been there for the last week.
Is that one gray?

No it is yellow. Slightly bigger than the small one in the pair. We were told about a grey one at 13m but were never able to find it.
The grey one changed locations while we were there. We never saw the 2nd yellow one. Bari appears to have its share of frogfish.

I only can think about what harm the Chogogo Resort may have on Bari Reef. I'm hoping it is less than I could think.

The grey one changed locations while we were there. We never saw the 2nd yellow one. Barie appears to have its share of frogfish.
The ones that we saw seemed to sleep in the same locations so we could easily find them at 6:30am or 5:30pm. They moved during the day to different places and were not as easy to spot (apart from the big female yellow who was easy to find no matter how far away she moved during the day!)

Back
Top Bottom