Two new resorts announced for the old Sunset Beach property near Bari Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just a heads up for those interested:

Two new resort hotels have recently been announced to be built on the old Bonaire Sunset Beach Resort property located along the oceanfront between Eden Beach Resort and Den Laman condos.

Back in November it was announced that a new 197 room resort called Chogogo Resort, will begin construction on the site in the second half of 2017. ("Chogogo" is the local word for flamingo.)

Additionally, in the January 2, 2017 edition of the Bonaire Reporter newspaper it was announced that
"Another new resort next to the existing Eden Beach Resort is in the planning stages. The Domingo brothers, the present Eden Beach Hotel owners, obtained the government OK to build a $12 million, 60- room hotel adjacent to Eden Beach on the site of the former Bonaire Beach (Sunset Beach) Hotel." A timeline for construction of this hotel wasn't mentioned. The article did also confirm plans for the larger hotel mentioned above.

I clipped the image below from an article in the Feb. 2, 2015 edition of the Bonaire Reporter discussing future plans for the site. I suspect the plans may have changed since then, but think it's worth noting that the government owned the property until recently and it appears that there were plans to continue providing for public access on the northern end of the property adjacent to Den Laman. (Apologies for the poor image quality, it's the best I could do with the article posted online.)

sunset10.jpg

A little history about the site:

Bonaire's first purposely built hotel, Bonaire Beach Hotel (later renamed Sunset Beach Hotel) operated on this site from 1962 to 1998. Captain Don Stewart operated his second Bonaire dive operation, called Aquaventure, there after leaving Flamingo Beach Hotel (the former WW II internment camp that is now Divi) and prior to opening his Habitat resort in 1976. Bruce Bowker of Carib Inn fame also worked here for a few years in the early 70's.

The remnants of the concrete pier destroyed by hurricane Lenny i 1999 still sit in the shallow water at the north end of Sunset Beach, near the public entry at the southern end of Bari Reef. It's a popular snorkeling attraction sometimes called The Aquarium by Bonaire snorkelers. Sunset Beach Hotel was eventually burned after closing and the remnants hauled away. What to do next with the vacant property was an oft-discussed local topic for the past 16+ years. According to the Bonaire Reporter the island government took ownership of the land in 2006.

This property is currently the location of Coco Beach bar and restaurant, built in 2015. The north end, adjacent to Den Laman, is also the current public parking and diver access point for Bari Reef.

With both of these new hotels, plus the recently completed 140 room Courtyard By Marriott near the airport, that's a total of 400 new hotel rooms scheduled to be built on the island in a relatively short period of time. It will be interesting to see how they will fill them. The most recent statistics for Bonaire accommodations I could find online were in this 2010 report posted by the Bonaire Tourism Corp, which indicates about 2100 total units of all types available for overnight rental on the island. These 400 new rooms are around a 19% increase of that number.

That's all I can think of to share. Fell free to opine, correct my mistakes, or ignore entirely to suit your whim. It's been another ridiculously rainy morning on the island (one of many in our past 3 weeks here) and I had some time on my hands this morning. So I thought I'd share some it with you. :D

Thanks for the heads up, and the history details. The times they are a change'in, as they say.

Chogogo, huh? That name just doesn't 'sing' to me.

I'd heard of the Courtyard Marriott being built, and wonder what impact that will have on things on Bonaire.

Richard.

The Courtyard Marriott is finished and open now I think. I saw caradonna with a package for it and you can book rooms now from the website.

The Courtyard Marriot is open. Looks nice from the outside, albeit a little charmlessly corporate (it's a Marriot, so pretty much par for the course I guess), and it's right next to the airport.

Did a little poking around the Bonaire Courtyard Marriott's website. I don't see anything obvious in the way of amenities to recommend it, particularly, it's not particularly cheap, and that's not bundling in scuba diving & a rental truck. I only calculated for one person; pack some people into the room & you can get the average price down, I imagine.

But while it's got wireless internet, a pool and a fitness center, I don't see tennis courts and what-not listed.

Any of you guys think you'll plan to stay there for future Bonaire trips? (I know some people do hotel points programs, which might be a factor).

Richard.

Did a little poking around the Bonaire Courtyard Marriott's website. I don't see anything obvious in the way of amenities to recommend it, particularly, it's not particularly cheap, and that's not bundling in scuba diving & a rental truck. I only calculated for one person; pack some people into the room & you can get the average price down, I imagine.

But while it's got wireless internet, a pool and a fitness center, I don't see tennis courts and what-not listed.

Any of you guys think you'll plan to stay there for future Bonaire trips? (I know some people do hotel points programs, which might be a factor).

Richard.

Not the best location either, not my kind of place. Does not appear dive oriented

I'm a frequent traveler for work and usually travel to Bonaire on airline miles and stay overnight in Atlanta each way on hotel points. I tried to get excited about the Courtyard By Marriott hotel on Bonaire when I first heard about it, but quickly lost interest when I discovered the location and that they only offered traditional hotel rooms with no kitchen or notable diver friendly facilities etc. Like scubadada I also agree that the location is not very attractive either.

FWIW that particular hotel appears to be more a part of Marriott's methodical expansion into Caribbean and Latin American markets, rather than a specific effort targeted at building new business on Bonaire. Check out this October 2015 article for brief details. Just my opinion, but I think that's why the hotel seems a bit out of place on Bonaire.

Chogogo, huh? That name just doesn't 'sing' to me.
Richard.
There's a Chogogo resort on Curacao, so presumably they're expanding. Chogogo is Papiamento for flamingo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom