Bombs in the Sinai !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMC:
As you may have heard last thursday (7 Okt) there were several bombings in the Sinai. News agancies here (Netherlands) think these attacks were mostly aimed at Israeli Tourists in the area since it's some kind of holiday for them now.

We are planning to go to Dahab in about a month for our dive holiday. Because of the bombings I'm am now a little hesitant whether we should go or not. We still haven't made our reservations. It was mainly tourist that were targeted in this attack (Hotels).

I really don't want to give into terrorist and am looking forward to our vacation but on the other hand, I really don't want to die :scared:

Any opinions on this ? Can i flush my vacationd down the drain ? :toilet

Personal decision ... I can only relate how I handled a situation with some parallels.

My wife and I had planned a trip to Indonesia in October 2001. We had a wedding to attend on the island of Java, and a side-trip planned to Bali for some diving.

Then 9/11 happened. A short time afterward, we received a letter from the State Dept. informing us that we had made travel plans to a country they were advising Americans not travel to. That was followed up a week or so later by a second letter, strongly urging us not to go.

We decided to go anyway ... if terrorists prevent you from making your own choices, they win.

We went ... and the day after arriving in Bali, the U.S. military started their invasion of Afghanistan. There was another American couple staying in our hotel, and they left Bali the following morning ... headed home for Houston. We decided to continue. Our hosts, and our local guide, assured us there was no danger as long as we didn't do anything provocative ... and they were right.

Now, to be fair ... Bali is predominantly Hindu, not Muslim. Same cannot be said for nearby Java. But when we left Bali four days later and traveled to Java, we still didn't have problems ... despite the strident calls from the head Imam in Jakarta, who was calling for the expulsion of all Americans from the island. Most people were very nice to us (yes, even though they were Muslim) and many went so far as to say they would protect us if anyone tried to include us in the sweeps that were going on around the island. It proved to be unnecessary ... the most hostile person we encountered did nothing more than stare at us and say we should go home.

Ironically, this was also the same time that the anthrax letters were being found in various people's mailboxes back in the States. Our friends (Muslim and otherwise) in Indonesia were urging us to stay there until things as home settled down. They were genuinely concerned for our safety.

We, personally, decided not to let terrorists dictate where we should travel. I cannot say whether that would be the correct decision for you to make ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thank you all for your coments.

This tread showed me how easily people are let into discussions about relegion. I know ofcourse that we must make up our own minds about all this but all these coments sure help.

I don't want to be forced by terrorist to go or not go to certain places. I think we'll go and enjoy our time there. I read a lot of great stories onthis board about egypt and want to expierence it for myself. I might be a little bit more on my toes while over there but "ligtning never strikes twice" , right ?

I figure that the chances of being a victem of terrorist attacks are smaller than getting into a car accident or becoming ill. Who's to say that tomorrow they wil not come to amsterdam and attack us there. So i think we might as well go there. We'll be spending most of the time under water anyway :)

I'll post my expierences on this board when we come back (somewhere midway november).

Seems there will be a few of us in Sharm soon - I'm there 29th Nov to 6th Dec, staying at the Cleopatra and diving with Oonas Diving (5 days' boat diving).

Went there in early July and it was fantastic so looking forward to return trip.

Hope everyone enjoys their diving trip and comes home safely.

Soozie2

I have lived in the Saudi Arabia for the last 2 years and if you believe all you read in the agenda-driven papers back home everyone in this country is a dangerous terrorist. Of course as we all know this is not the case. There is no war to speak of, extremists will do as they have always done, cowardly attack soft targets against which there is little one can do. Innocents will always die either as the soft 'terrorist' target, or the 'hard' reality of modern, remote warfare, 'collateral damage'.

Is Egypt more dangerous now after this attack? Frankly I'd say the converse is true.
If this is your first trip to Egypt you must go and experience the hospitality for yourself, moreover try and see some of the sites above the water as well. It's Ramadhan at the moment ('til about 13 Nov) so be sensitive to the fasting locals.

The decision is yours and with what you feel comfortable. Have a great time

Ramadan will be over by 14 th November. For all if you going there - please keep in mind that Muslims do not eat or drink between sunrise and sunset. So please remember that they can be a bit touchy.
Mania
PS. Go to Egypt and enjoy your time and you will love it. You can also contact Chippy who just came back from Sharm

mania:
Ramadan will be over by 14 th November. For all if you going there - please keep in mind that Muslims do not eat or drink between sunrise and sunset. So please remember that they can be a bit touchy.
Mania
PS. Go to Egypt and enjoy your time and you will love it. You can also contact Chippy who just came back from Sharm
Now you've got me nervous. What do you mean touchy?

Brian Gilpin:
Now you've got me nervous. What do you mean touchy?
Imagine yourself - you are having breakfast at 4 am. Then till 5 pm you are not eating at all, not drinking - but it's hot outside, you don't smoke and last but not least you don't do with your wife what you should for a month.:wink:
Now - are you a bit touchy or fully relaxed????
This is what I meant and nothing else.
Mania
PS. The latest observations are that during the Ramadan Muslims are in fact eating more than normally because after 5 pm they eat almost all the time and all night!!!!!

Guys for the sake of clearing up this thread a little and getting it back on its original line:

As to Ramadhan one should avoid eating, drinking or smoking in front of Muslims from Dawn to Dusk, what you do in the privacy of your own home (or cabin / hotel room) is your affair. If you are on a liveaboard or equivalent I doubt such rules apply

AbuK:
As to Ramadhan one should avoid eating, drinking or smoking in front of Muslims from Dawn to Dusk, what you do in the privacy of your own home (or cabin / hotel room) is your affair. If you are on a liveaboard or equivalent I doubt such rules apply
And I call this respect and proper behavior. My English is not absolutely perfect but in this case I'm sure i used proper wording.
AbuK - once more thanks.
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom