Boltsnap breakaways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devon, not arguing but isn't there a possibility of a clip being snagged and thus needing a breakaway.

Sent from my DROID X2

Not arguing either - just enjoying the debate. :) If anything, I'm merely trying to encourage some more in-depth thinking on the issue... as it seems people are opting for 'safety' when no/little risk actually presents itself.

Do you mean 'snagged whilst breathing from the long hose'? i.e. snagged on an object when the diver is moving through a restricted space? If so, the same logic would apply for having it as a cut-away... as you would most/all other clips and attachments.

Or do you mean 'it could snag when the long hose isn't being breathed from? In which case, I question when that situation would arise... never for the recreational diver... and only during deco for the technical diver (which means a donation is possible via the deco reg).

The only exception being if indie tanks were used (sidemount or backmount)... in which case, the debate for breakaway/cutaway does have merit... but also this risk of a clip jamming on the d-ring is minimal, because the reg/clip is frequently accessed throughout the dive - thus, less likely to jam shut.

Breakaway is a good idea if you might ever have to donate a reg which is clipped off. Fine. When will you ever have to donate a regulator that is clipped off? If the answer, upon reflection, is never... then you don't need a breakaway....

Do you mean that you wouldn't bother to go back onto your long hose for the ascent?!?
I choose not to make another reg switch which is not required. I don't dive cold water, but still, why would I?
What is the down side of break away reg?

So that your long hose is in your mouth, ready to be deployed, where your buddy would expect to find it?

(...and you won't have created an 'artificial' situation where consideration of bolt-snap breakaways is necessary...) :wink:

Breakaway is a good idea if you might ever have to donate a reg which is clipped off. Fine. When will you ever have to donate a regulator that is clipped off? If the answer, upon reflection, is never... then you don't need a breakaway....

I've used the long hose for a year or so now and like it a lot. Since it is never clipped off while diving I don't need to worry if it will
be ready to donate, it will be ready. Before this however I used the standard octo set-up for years and always had a small scubapro
u-shaped thing that the octo mouthpiece pushed into. I was amazed at how many years that thing lasted and never broke. I've grown more
accustomed to bolt snaps these days but I could see where if someone was considering a bolt snap on a standard octo they may want to consider
the bolt snap hanging up when actually needing it. In this case I would want a break away or some type of one pull and it's free type set-up.
Interesting thread, I only use my boltsnap on my 6' long hose when exiting from a shore dive or possibly reboarding a charter in rough water.
I never even gave thought as to the other ways this was being used for different types of diving and temporary stowage of a reg to be re-used
during the same dive, interesting stuff.

speaking purely of backmount manifolded doubles, I agree with the majority that there is not a good reason for a break away bolt snap on the long hose

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

speaking purely of backmount manifolded doubles, I agree with the majority that there is not a good reason for a break away bolt snap on the long hose

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

i agree. my back mount rigs have the bolts naps tied off with cavelike. my side mount rig has a break away setup.

So that your long hose is in your mouth, ready to be deployed, where your buddy would expect to find it?

(...and you won't have created an 'artificial' situation where consideration of bolt-snap breakaways is necessary...) :wink:
I disagree, so I'm leaving the Board.

True, but as stated in the remainder of the post that you quoted.... when exactly is that gonna happen?

It doesn't matter.

No matter what configuration (hog doubles, sidemount, rec, tec, and anything else you can think of, before, after or during any part of the dive), I can not think of a single instance where it is advantageous to use an attachment method that is not a break-away.

It's safer because the reg is always accessible if necessary, without the use of tools in case of a clip or user problem.

I have not yet heard a convincing reason why a non-breakaway retaining method, that makes the reg inaccessible without tools in case of a clip problem, is preferable.

flots.

I have not yet heard a convincing reason why a non-breakaway retaining method, that makes the reg inaccessible without tools in case of a clip problem, is preferable.

Whilst progressing sensitively through a confined environment, the regulator catches on an entanglement:

Breakaway: the regulator tears off the breakaway, pulls down and becomes more snagged on the obstruction. You also cannot now stow the regulator to complete subsequent deco (the primary purpose for the clip in the first place).

Cutaway: the regulator momentarily catches on the obstruction. You feel the tug, halt-reverse, free the regulator and continue. Your equipment remains configured and capable, as intended.

Second, more practical, reason: I used to use breakaway (zip-tie/o-ring) on the clip. I lost more than 6 boltsnaps (~$10 each) before getting fed up with that inefficient and unnecessary configuration tweak.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom