Boltsnap breakaways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Practical experience - having completed more demanding dives in confined restricted spaces, than you've done dives total.

I don't care if you dove the titanic solo-the laws of physics aren't different for you than for me. Hoses don't magically become longer in your presence.

I'll try to take some video next time I dive this configuration to prove the point.

I must have been imagining it then.... LMAO

Of course, nobody's ever trapped a long hose, have they? Perhaps, with your 'DIR experience' you feel the S-Drill only exists for the benefit of 'looking good' rather than any other, more functional, purpose?

Now you're just being silly. Of course I understand hose trapping. (Actually I had a bad experience once where a hose was trapped because we hadn't done a modified s before entering the water. Didn't find out until the point in the dive -- this was a scooter training dive -- where we were simulating a failure of both scooters and the buddy then decided to drill ooa & unconscious.)

In the configuration I described, the hose is confined by bands to the right sidemount tank-the routing is down from the first stage, then up, then down halfway, then up and out to the diver. Deployment of the second stage to an ooa diver is simply handing the reg off. When you push it away from you, you are pulling it out from the retaining bands.

In that configuration, THERE'S NOTHING NEARBY FOR THE HOSE TO GET TRAPPED ON. NOTHING! The tank bungie goes around the outside of the tank and loops around underneath to trap the valve, so it can't get trapped on that. The deco/stage bottle on that side is attached to the left (inside) of where the long hose emerges, so it can't get trapped on the stage neck boltsnap. And anything else on the right chest d ring is fixed to the right (outside) of the long hose. Try to picture it in your head. There's no light cable for it to get caught on. And it can't get caught on a deco LP hose because those hoses route around behind the head from the left.

I guess maybe you could entangle it if you tried, but you'd really have to work hard at it.

So, yes, I continue to call that what you saw was either a misconfiguration or bs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am neither silly, nor an idiot, nor prone to posting BS on this forum. Perhaps you need to re-assess what you 'think' you know?

You're obviously an expert, with nothing left to learn - having completed a handful of tech/sidemount dives in the configuration. I'm not inclined to pander towards your ego through further debate. If you feel you know everything, then I'm surprised you bother with Scubaboard at all... unless your only intention is to show the tech community how awesomely spectacular you are. Hey, if it makes you feel big, then go for it... I won't be the one to rain on your parade, hero..

I am neither silly, nor an idiot, nor prone to posting BS on this forum. Perhaps you need to re-assess what you 'think' you know?

You're obviously an expert, with nothing left to learn - having completed a handful of tech/sidemount dives in the configuration. I'm not inclined to pander towards your ego through further debate. If you feel you know everything, then I'm surprised you bother with Scubaboard at all... unless your only intention is to show the tech community how awesomely spectacular you are. Hey, if it makes you feel big, then go for it... I won't be the one to rain on your parade, hero..

Dude... A number of people using a similar piece of equipment described having the same issue I was having. I then found a solution and posted it. You then -- either misunderstanding what was being discussed, or for some other reason -- announced that my equipment configuration has a number of physical limitations, which simply do not exist. And you were rude about it. I have therefore corrected you.

As I said, I will try to take some video next time I use the configuration to prove the point.

the only break away I want on any bolt snap is cave line. I don't want it coming apart, ever, unless I cut it off.

the only break away I want on any bolt snap is cave line. I don't want it coming apart, ever, unless I cut it off.

For manifolds doubles I agree with that. Because the only time you'd have it clipped off is when you're on a stage or on land. But for independent twins (ie, sidemount), you are sometimes not breathing from the long hose, and you may have to donate it from clipped-off position.

As I said, I will try to take some video next time I use the configuration to prove the point.

You seem to be under some misapprehension that this is a 'debate' that you have to 'win'. I was merely trying to lend you the value of experience - something you don't have yet. As I said, I am disinclined to engage further, as I feel no compunction to educate someone who feels they know better because they've done some entry-level tech courses, got all the gear and read 'stuff' on the internet.

I understand fully what you're trying to say... what you don't seem to understand are the 'tolerances' involved in certain aspects of technical/overhead diving. Until you do, I doubt that you'll see any logic to what I'm saying, or why I have certain preferences and approaches.

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but please spare me the 'lessons'.

Every post in this thread requires a rebuttal, apparently.

Rolling my eyes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Every post in this thread requires a rebuttal, apparently.

Rolling my eyes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Yea? I rebut you.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom