bolt snap question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by trymixdiver
I have been to damn near evey Home Depot and the Two Major Lowes stores in Orange County. NONE OF THEM CARRY SS BOLT SNAPS.
~~~~
Unless your special ordering them what you are buying is nickel plated brass
Sorry if i came on strong but those stores have been mentioned alot for SS bolt snaps and its not true in my area.
Shoot Andy.... take a pill.... and you need to get out more too!

Just because you haven't been able to find them doesn't mean that they do not exist in the entire universe....

I buy them at Lowe's all the time.... and they say right on them Stainless Steel....

(but I'm gonna go out and take a file to one of them now just to make sure they aren't ripping me off)

BTW-
This won't make sense to most of you but some of the US guys~n~gals will get it:

Eagles Hardware's slogan was: "More of everything"

Well it should have been "More of everything but less of what you really want" and Lowes kept it when they bought out Eagle Hardware here in the PNW...

And did you know that LOWES stands for:
"Less of what Eagle sold"

So I was really surprised when I found genuine Korean premium SS bolt snaps at Lowes!

Now where did I put my file....

Pug

I dont doute your Lowes had them, i just know for a fact that in Southern California Home depot and Lowes dont carry SS bolt snaps. They have every size you want in brass or nickel plated, but absolutely no SS. So for everyone in So Cal, dont wates your time looking for them at those stores.

I was refering to the divers that think because it looks SS it must therefore be SS.

Again, Anyone in So Cal looking for SS bolt snaps can save themself alot of hassle by not going to those stores for SS. After much frustration i spent over $100 at halcyon on SS bolt snaps, 12 to be exact and it was worth every penny to me.

Andy

I have taken a valium, i am ok now :)

GM is correct - you need to find the marine grade bolt snaps. The others will fail pretty quickly. I just picked up a few at West Marine (good price). Here in MA, I have been unable to find the non-plated snaps at Lowes or Home Depot. I guess it goes by area.

Eric

Well, I filed on my Stainless Steel Bolt Snaps last night. The salesman said they were full stainless. They were just plated. :upset: Oh well. I will use them for until I can make a trip to EE to pick up some good ones.

For twine I go right to the main source;
http://www.memphisnet.net/FishCatalog/Twines.html

I always use the "White Braided Nylon Seine Twine".
They give great service and fast shipping, just call them on the phone to order.

Here in Central Florida both Lowes and Home Depot have SS snaps but you have to search for them. They are usually on the opposite side of the ailse from all the rest of the connection hardware.
The say stainless steel on them and cost a bit more than twice the cost of the nickle plated ones and the brass ones. If your local store doesn't have them on the shelf, ASK for them. They can order them if you want.

around these here parts the HD carries "Atwood" (?) SS bolt-snaps in size small.

for LARGE i had to mail order.

FWIW ... brass and bronze are acceptable PROVIDED they
are MARINE GRADE ... and you WILL pay for that quality
as you do for the stainless.

It bears repeating that MUCH of what is available is nickel or
brass PLATED junk.

caveat emptor.

G_M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom