bolt snap question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am wondering, just what is wrong with brass snaps? Assuming they have SS springs, which most do, why not use them? I have used them around marine enviroments for years.

Wendy, whatever size you get get an extra double ender and clip it off in your left thigh pocket. That way when you drop the one you are using to wind up the spool you will have a spare.

And get your guy the XL Jet fins....

I have an extra pair with special Uncle Pug spring straps if you are interested.

Originally posted by herman
I am wondering, just what is wrong with brass snaps? Assuming they have SS springs, which most do, why not use them? I have used them around marine enviroments for years.

The brass snaps cut your thumbs and are not as smooth, some also say they can jam easier though I've never personally had one jam but I don't use them anymore either. I've had both Brass and SS and if you try the SS snaps you'll never go back!!

DSAO!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Wendy, whatever size you get get an extra double ender and clip it off in your left thigh pocket. That way when you drop the one you are using to wind up the spool you will have a spare.

And get your guy the XL Jet fins....

I have an extra pair with special Uncle Pug spring straps if you are interested.

Good idea on the double ender!

Another tip... when you unclip the double ender to use the spool clip it (the double ender) to the snap on your lighthead then unclip it when done. It'll make it far less prone to be lost than trying to hold it in your hand while using the spool!

I got my SS bolt snaps off eBay:

eBay bolt snap seller

Way cheaper than anywhere else I could find - even after postage. There are 3/4" and 1 1/8" ones up for auction at the moment. Very chunky, and have had no problems on saltwater dives with the ones I bought. The 3/4" ones worked out less than $2.50 each, compared to up to $8 each from scuba gear type sources. You just have to buy in bulk!

A lot of the cheap so called S.S. snaps, as someone said earlier are plated. And the insides are junk(spring). You definitely get what you pay for.

Medium should be fine, large for stage bottles. But I use these sizes and I dive in cold water.

I agree with UP, I keep an extra double ender in my pocket just for that reason, although as of yet I haven't dropped one(knock on wood).

I wear turtle fins with rock boots, so I can be of no help there,except I do know the Jetfins seem to be sized rather small.

UP~ do you make your own spring straps? I saw a picture awhile back of yours,they look just like the ones I bought,I don't know who made them, I do know it was an individual not a manufacturer and they are great.

Originally posted by D.I.R.Lizard
UP~ do you make your own spring straps? I saw a picture awhile back of yours,they look just like the ones I bought,I don't know who made them, I do know it was an individual not a manufacturer and they are great.
Yes I do but I wouldn't want to do it for a living...

Still have all my fingers even after cutting out several sets of blocks from HMWP on the band saw.

The ones I made for the Jets use a lighter weight spring because the Jets tend to jam on tight anyway.... very comfortable.

The ones I made for my Turtles needed a heavier spring because the foot pocket is so big.... they are not quite as comfortable but I'm no sissy so that ain't a complaint.... :wink:

Hold on a minute

I live in Southern California and go to Lowes and Home Depot in all different cities. I have been to damn near evey Home Depot and the Two Major Lowes stores in Orange County. NONE OF THEM CARRY SS BOLT SNAPS.

Unless your special ordering them what you are buying is nickel plated brass.

Home Depot and Lowes in California DO NOT STOCK SS BOLT SNAPS.

Andy

Boats US has some and West Marine has some, but there not want i would consider the standard scuba bolt snaps. I got mine all from Halcyon.

Sorry if i came on strong but those stores have been mentioned alot for SS bolt snaps and its not true in my area.

Good point TMD.

I used nickel plated snaps on my backup lights for one dive in salt water while I was waiting for my SS ones to arrive - they seized the following day after drying. The springs corroded after just one immersion. They're currently on backup backup dogleash duty.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom