bolt snap question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok, when I first started diving I was poor and didn't know any better and ended up with brass bolt snaps, now I have some money and am a little wiser and switching over to SS bolt snaps. My question is which size do I get? I saw a website that had good prices on them, but they come in small, med, and large. I'll need 1 double ender and 5 swivel bolt snaps. I think that's it.

Also none bolt snap related..if a guy wears a size 10 or 11 in shoes, would size large jet fins fit him if he is wearing them with booties (not rockboots)? I want to get a pair for my guy as a gift.

Sort of a tangent to this, I guess, but you can buy stainless boltsnaps and double-enders at home improvement shops like Lowes. The boltsnap I bought was indistinguishable from the others I already had, but I wouldn't recommend the double-enders (springs are too loose).

I too bought my bolt snaps at home store, home depot in my case.

As for the Jetfins, I wear a size 10.5 shoe. The large fit with regular booties, but I felt the XL fit better.

Originally posted by metridium
Sort of a tangent to this, I guess, but you can buy stainless boltsnaps and double-enders at home improvement shops like Lowes. The boltsnap I bought was indistinguishable from the others I already had, but I wouldn't recommend the double-enders (springs are too loose).

I need the one double ender for my spool. And what size bolt snaps should I get, I figure the med sized would be good. But wanted to check with you guys before I buy any.

I'll check the prices at the hardware stores too.

Originally posted by Wendy
I need the one double ender for my spool. And what size bolt snaps should I get, I figure the med sized would be good.
The boltsnaps at Lowes were all the same size, except that the size of the eye varied. I'd say they were the medium sized, given that I have a couple smaller ones bought elsewhere. I haven't played around with the smaller ones in cold water yet, so I don't know how appropriate they are if you do that sort of diving at all.

As for the double-enders, I'd swing by LBS or EE if I were in your area. :)

You wouldn't happen to know of any places to get #24 line at a decent price, would ya?

beware you do not purchase PLATED snaps: you want to
purchase high-grade MARINE stainless (300 series) because
otherwise it will not last long.

it's a definate case of you will get what you paay for.

Wendy,

Regarding SS bolt snaps..

I think it depends -- on what you're using it for and what type of gloves you'll have on, if any. I dive in cold water with thick gloves.

I like a small snap for my primary second stage -- I am a rec diver and am not usually clipping it off underwater. If you are using stage bottles and clipping your primary off underwater, the medium might be more user friendly (although I see you're in Florida...so small might work fine).

For my SPG and lights, I use medium. I do have a large and the thing looks like it should be at the end of a dog leash for a St. Bernard......;-)

-Chris

Wendy,

I have found the bolt snap size to be a function of whether I am wearing gloves and what thickness the gloves. The bolt size and ring size are what I check. 7mm gloves are the thickest I wear so I check how it works for my thumb and little finger. I like larger ones for stage tanks, reels etc. Stuff I need to find by feel. Spools fall into this category. I use small bolt snaps for backup lights etc. Stuff I look at when I am handling it. I also keep everything well lubed with silicon spray.

Hope this is some help.

DSAO,

Larry

Hi Wendy,

Lloyd Bailey's has a good selection of SS snaps and they are about the same price as anywhere. The hardware stores I've found don't have appreciably better prices for SS (if they even have them at all). Some I've found have been sub optimal in several ways I won't get into here as well.

As far as size goes.... What are you using them for? For the backup lights and primary reg I'd get small. For stages get large. The double ender I'd get med.

For the Jetfins DEFINATELY get XL!! The size L are smaller (not just the foot pocket) and not what most want.

DSAO!

On the Jetfins, I have that size foot, 6.5mm booties, and the xlarge are much better. The large will fit Ok with thinner booties, but the xlarge fins are a good bit bigger.

On bolt snaps, I got mine from HW store also, though I will say the double ender that came with the EE spool is much smoother than the one I bought. I have heard of different brands that are better than others, and Irvine talk of ones that say Italy on them, but that's about it.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom