Bolt Envy, how low do you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanstaafl

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to install a p-valve in my Poseidon 7mil dry suit. The big question at this point is where to place the bolt.

I'm thinking inner thigh mid way down and I'll run the hose through a hole in my sweats to make final connection.

The balancing valves seem to set the minimum length of the hose and a straight routing to keep kinks out of the hose would seem desireable. Beyond that there's still some room for play.

Any thoughts/recomendations?

Another question, to make the initial penetration (in the neoprene) how about a .45 shell casing some wood blocking and a hammer? Is there a better way to do this?

Placement sounds good...and the .45 shell casing is perfect...just take a file to it prior to use so it is really sharp inside and out. And when it comes to hammering...don't be timid...really whack the thing.

bwerb:
Placement sounds good...and the .45 shell casing is perfect...just take a file to it prior to use so it is really sharp inside and out. And when it comes to hammering...don't be timid...really whack the thing.

Sounds good, I'll run the edge with a dremmel tool before I wack it!

I placed the bolt mid-thigh, about halfway between the top and inside of the leg to avoid abrading the suit with the bolthead.

Ran a dremel around a .38 casing, placed a flat board inside the leg, and then smacked it with a hammer. First whack cut 95% of a full circle because I was decelerating the 'club' on impact (same problem I have in golf)...

Second shot finished the cut. I installed my valve dry (no sealer), works great, no leaks.

The size of the valve stud determines the size of the hole punch. You want the hole slightly under sized, especially in a neoprene suit. The last one I installed I used a lead block inside the suit and it worked much better than plywood... but a sharp punch is the ticket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom