Bollocks talked about computer algorithms. Aka how to bend an Oceanic VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KenGordon

Contributor
Reaction score
Can I say bollocks? Never mind…

Short version - do not use NDL times to compare computer conservatism.

Long version…

I recently acquired an AI transmitter for my Perdix. It came with a free Oceanic VT3. The seller thought it was the other way round so I got “a deal”.

Yesterday, I had no buddy and so had to use a twinset rather than a rebreather - GF’s risk assessment on new cells, new drysuit and no buddy said no.

My plan was 40 minutes at 30m, about 15 minutes of backgas deco on 50/80 using 3400l of gas.

I decided to take the VT3 in as a backup computer as it was shinier than an old Zoop. I did consider taking the Zoop too as a comparison but being early season, new suit and solo I decided against it.

I had a twinset of 32% and a choice of my regular bailouts. For this dive 80% would only save maybe 7 minutes of deco and I would rather keep it full. I decided to take a 7 of 32% as my shutdown skills are rusty, new suit etc and being solo.

I downloaded the VT3 manual and went through setting the mix. That was quite nasty with a lot of long press on two buttons sort of thing. At one point I had three random mixes set. There is something special about 50% too that escapes me. The worst thing is that the picture of which button is which (A, S and M) is at the front of the manual and so there is a lot of scrolling about. This took me 40 minutes. I see that even a Perdix two button UI is better than that.

Planning mode of the VT3 (default conservatism) showed a 31 minute NDL for 32% 30m, the Perdix (40/85) 22 minutes 31% 30m. Having measured the gas on the boat I couldn’t face trying update the gas on the VT3. BSAC tables give 28 minutes surface to safety stop.

As it turned out there was a spare diver on the boat so I had a buddy. He had a twinset of 32 and a 7 of 50% so all quite well matched for an instabuddy.

So we did the dive, nothing untoward, perfectly lovely and relaxing, max 28m, mostly at about 25m. I used the VT3 as a pressure gauge (not having set the transmitter on the default screen of the Perdix yet).

Come the ascent my buddy had a couple of minutes at 6 (his Peregrine having last stop set to 6, and using a richer gas) and I had one at 6 and 4 at 3. The VT3 was showing 14 minutes at 3. We did the time at 6 to 7 for the buddy’s Peregrine and then moved up to 5 for my deco and the the 5 minute safety stop the adaptive mode of the Perdix called for. By the end of that my surface GF was about 73% so a perfectly nice number. The VT3 still wanted 8 minutes. Our max run time at this point was only 5 minutes more so there was no chance I was keeping everyone waiting, even without that I’d not want more time in 9C water pointlessly so we surfaced and bent it.

Conclusion, despite the VT3 being apparently less conservative, using NDL as a measure, than medium setting on a Shearwater GF, it is in fact more conservative in deco.

Looking back at my logs for similar dives done with either a Suunto backup to a Petrel on CCR, or dives with buddies on Suuntos I don’t generally see long hangs once my deco was clear.

Attachments

• EF26708A-1971-4835-A73F-051AF8C359FC.png
    EF26708A-1971-4835-A73F-051AF8C359FC.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 112
Here is a profile with. 50/80 CCR with a buddy on OC Nitrox (assume best mix) and a Suunto Eon Steel. You see that we could surface immediately my deco was done.

Attachments

• 02097156-89C5-4154-915F-1C53452AEF24.jpeg
    02097156-89C5-4154-915F-1C53452AEF24.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 123
An this is an OC 49/99 GF bailout. The buddy had a Suunto DX (CCR mode) as backup, I don’t recall it getting bent.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 10.35.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 10.35.29.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 109
I guess you've missed the many threads that point out NOT to use the Oceanic/DSAT-algorithm for deco. It is not designed nor tested for that, so oodles of conservatism is thrown in.

That was not a tec dive. It was a single gas with next to no deco. The Perdix NDL for 24m is 37 minutes, for 27m it is 28, on the VT3 52 minutes at 24 and 38 at 27m.

I guess you've missed the many threads that point out NOT to use the Oceanic/DSAT-algorithm for deco. It is not designed nor tested for that, so oodles of conservatism is thrown in.

I mostly see people trying to extrapolate GF style equivalents. Many people here claim a DSAT computer to be equivalent to some GF like x/95. I think they are wrong and it is very misleading.

I also see people claiming the Suuntos are awful and overly conservative. Another day I will take this VT3 and a Zoop on a similar dive and see how they compare.

Anyway the point is about NDLs being a rubbish measure.

I do light back gas deco on about 5% of my dives. Currently, I'm diving an 11 year old Oceanic VT3 and a Shearwater Teric. On the first dive of every day, the VT3 is more liberal than the Teric set at 80/95. On repetitive dives, the Teric is generally more liberal, especially on shallower dives. When I go into deco, the two computers are not far off. All my deco is less than 15 min, generally less than 10 min. I guess it depends on what kind of dives you are doing. As pointed out, the Oceanic computer was not developed for decompression diving.

Anyway the point is about NDLs being a rubbish measure.
Agreed, if you are using it to estimate how the computer will perform on a deco dive. Like you did. It is also rubbish if you are using it to estimate how long the battery will last. :)

I do light back gas deco on about 5% of my dives. Currently, I'm diving an 11 year old Oceanic VT3 and a Shearwater Teric. On the first dive of every day, the VT3 is more liberal than the Teric set at 80/95. On repetitive dives, the Teric is generally more liberal, especially on shallower dives. When I go into deco, the two computers are not far off. All my deco is less than 15 min, generally less than 10 min. I guess it depends on what kind of dives you are doing. As pointed out, the Oceanic computer was not developed for decompression diving.

I had eight or nine more minutes on the VT3 than on the Perdix with GF 45/85. If the depth had been as per the planned seabed (30 rather that 25ish) and we’d got to 15 minutes of deco on the Perdix I hate to think what the VT3 would have said.

I had eight or nine more minutes on the VT3 than on the Perdix with GF 45/85. If the depth had been as per the planned seabed (30 rather that 25ish) and we’d got to 15 minutes of deco on the Perdix I hate to think what the VT3 would have said.
I've never had that kind of discrepancy in my simple dives, never more than a minute or two in either direction. I dived my VT3 with a Dive Rite Nitek Q for about 3 years before I bought my Teric, about 2 years ago, so that I could learn Buhlmann. After 5 yrs experience with Buhlmann and DSAT, you'd think I would have experienced a difference like you found, if it were applicable to my simple profiles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom