Boeing Wind Tunnel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy,
Great to hear you would be interested in trying out new gear regardless of how it looks- compared to the norms. A lot of people have not tried Force Fins because of the look so good on you. If you like your jets for frog kicking and backing up your best bet might be to stick with them. If you come to a point where they start to hurt your feet then change to a Force Fin and free your foot.
Force Finners can Frog kick, back up and do all the kicks in them, but moving a flat board type fin for those kicks works differently than a Force Fin. Our design works on a rebound and snap concept to aid in propulsion so trying to push water is not a Force Fin technique.
I really like the Tan Delta Flying Force Fin for comfort, power and the ability to stay on station when hovering. I do all kinds of kicks in them, but nothing beats the comfort and control.
bpm_flyingforcehdpp_nd.jpg

It also has been my go to fin for commercial diving.

Before and After review of the Flying Force Fins:

Before--

I have finally had a chance to test my #100 Amethyst Purple Tan Delta Flying Force Fins. In a word, they are awesome. They are noticeably more powerful than the Pros, yet at the same time more responsive when I do my kicking manoeuvres. The winglets move water extremely well and allow me to turn very well in tight corners, which would be perfect for wreck diving. I did not realise that the Tan Delta material, coupled with a seemingly subtle innovation like the winglets, could make such a difference. It is truly a Flying Force Fin, in more ways than one. I cannot wait to test them in strong currents underwater. The deep purple candy color of my Flying Force Fins and the way it becomes translucent with that amethyst hue makes it all the more unique. I am honoured to have the #100 pair and am very grateful to both Bob and Blair, and the entire Force Fin family.

I will be heading for a week of diving, and I will be bringing my Flying Force Fins. I always keep my Force Fins in my carry-on bag because they are too precious to lose in check-in baggage. I’ll update the review once I get back.

After--

I will get straight to the point. The Tan Delta Flying Force Fins are phenomenal. They really move water unlike anything else, and even better than my PROs. They perform extremely well kicking against strong currents, but yet were not as stiff as I expected them to be. The Tan Delta material flexes very naturally, and is perfect for my style of diving. My Amethyst Purple Flying Force is now my absolute favourite pair to use.

I was a design engineer for the America Cubed team in 1990to1992. I worked on the tab and rudder designs. I selected the force fin profile to test the winglets on the "geek" as we called it.
We tested the stainless steel model of 1/2 of a force fin. We had the use of the Boeing wind tunnel. We used a larger version of the test part on "America 3" and we won. Being a long term friend of Bob, I disclosed our test data to him for use in making a better swim fin. As a contractor to A3 I retained all rights to any technology that I provided. I gave Bob permission to use the design in 1993. I have use force fins with the winglets since Bob provided me two sets #1 and #2. As I said; A3 used the design and we won the cup.

Bob has just informed me that Barney Lambert had passed away on the 7th of this month and we would like to offer our prayers of peace to the family and rejoice in remembrance of an amazing man.

I personally will never forget the times I had met him, especially the first when he and Lance " the one are bandit" brought over the FROG rebreather and explained its operation and how to use it to me and a few Ocean Futures Society dive team members decades ago.

Barney you will always live in our hearts!

Last edited:
Holding Fiber Glass fin blades with Flexible Vertical wiglets. Alex and I heading into our home pool to test. Santa Barbara 1993.bo-alex.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom