Body Found in Lake Mohave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finluca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I were diving at a spot called Placer Cove in Lake Mohave yesterday. It's about 10 miles south of Boulder City, Nevada. We were in the water for about 45 minutes when the low visibility and my poor navigation skills got us going in the wrong direction. We turned around and got going in the right direction when we came upon the body of a young white male in about 25 - 30 feet of water. We immediately surfaced and made sure we knew where the location of the body was. There is no cell phone coverage in the cove so I had to drive back up the dirt road a bit before I could call the ranger station. The rangers and an investigator showed up about an hour later and I pointed out the location of the body. We packed our things and left and I don't know anything else about the person we found. The local TV news had a brief story about it and there was a very short mention of it in the paper. There was a very obvious thermocline right around 24 feet where the water temperature dropped into the 60s, otherwise we would have been deeper and probably missed the body.

You know, I hope that I never find a body underwater. Too spooky! Glad that you are OK.

We're OK, just a little freaked out. I'll post any updates when I get them.

Wow! Good job with your reaction. Scary stuff. Even as a former PSD (and hopefully future one again), the thought of finding a body even when searching for one was never pleasant.

That is pretty freaky! Good job with notifying the authorities!

Sounds like you did exactly the right thing.

Even for us Public Safety Divers it's never a fun task but we have the advantage of knowing what we're looking for. If you have a hard time sleeping for a couple of nights don't think you're different- it's a normal reaction for a few days after. Just remember that thanks to you the family now knows what happened to their loved one.

If you want to talk PM me or drop down into the Public Safety divers forum, there are many folks who have been through this before and would be happy to talk to you.

Tom

We had some trouble sleeping on Saturday night, but we're ok now. We haven't been able to find out much information about who we found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom