Boat seat belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had occasion to report either a post or a PM. I can see the "Report!" button in the forum, but I haven't a clue as to how to go about reporting a PM.

I deleted the first PM, thinking that would be the end of it. I have, however, kept the second, more offensive one.

EDIT: I just remembered that all my PMs also go into my email in-box. Both are still there. So, how does one report a PM?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

No need, it's been dealt with.

What the hell are you guys talking about.......cars and such? The topic IIRC is seat belts on slow laboring boats such as ferries. Not personal watercraft......just public vessels,......you know the ones that crawl along? Yet they are capable (according to a couple of you) of throwing people around like rag dolls doing a couple knots.......those ones. Not cars.

Hmm. It did get a tiny bit off on a tangent, didn't it?

Hmm. It did get a tiny bit off on a tangent, didn't it?

Some of the higher speed craft may have some collision results in common with cars, and since cars and planes are where most folks have seat belt issues, it is more like a parallel than a tangent! :D

Some of the higher speed craft may have some collision results in common with cars, and since cars and planes are where most folks have seat belt issues, it is more like a parallel than a tangent! :D

Okay. Let's say some guy is riding (unbelted) in the bow of a high speed cruiser and his companions are all safely belted into their seats. The cruiser is traveling at a good clip and suddenly, this big, slow ferro-cement barge comes plodding out of nowhere and into the path of the speedboat and the speedboat T-bones it. The guy in the bow becomes a projectile and lands, battered and bruised, on the deck of the barge. He staggers to his feet in time to watch his companions, struggling with their seat belts, as they sink to the bottom with the speedboat!

(I'm being facetious here, so please don't shoot me!)

Last edited:
Okay. Let's say some guy is riding (unbelted) in the bow of a high speed cruiser and his companions are all safely beted into their seats. The cruiser is traveling at a good clip and suddenly, this big, slow ferro-cement barge comes plodding out of nowhere and into the path of the speedboat and the speedboat T-bones it. The guy in the bow becomes a projectile and lands, battered and bruised, on the deck of the barge. He staggers to his feet in time to watch his companions, struggling with their seat belts, as they sink to the bottom with the speedboat!

(I'm being facetious here, so please don't shoot me!)

Change that to from "high speed cruiser" to "commercial water taxi" and you may be close to what the OP had asked about 100 or so posts ago!

Hmmm.... after giving this subject much thought, I think my position is that having a seat belt (of sorts) available for use in a boat would be nice, on occasion, but most of the time I wouldn't want to use it.
:)
Rick

I remember reading a very interesting article on a study which was conducted in relation to child deaths in automobile accidents before and after it became mandatory to strap children into car seats. The overall picture was that the number of deaths and serious accidents roughly remained constant, and survey suggested that it was because parents were prepared to drive much more aggressively with their children in the car if they believed that they were safely strapped in.

Just saying.
Surely you realize that is false? Sounds like a myth. Got a link...?

I remember an accident I came upon in an adjacent county a few years back. A car had overturned ejecting a child who was lying in the middle of the road. Back in the 1950s it was common for 5 of us to load up in a pickup, kids in back to drive to a job. I remember coming home from one of those in the rain, 3 fat cowboys in front, us 2 younger cowboys crammed in their laps. Even in the 70s I remember allowing my tot to stand in the seat of my pickup; we just didn't know better then. And for years tractors did not have cabs, roll bars or seat belts. Amazing what all we survived, but then - many didn't. They died to make way for the laws we have now.
Originally Posted by TMHeimer View Post
I've never heard of a human projectile causing a secondary accident
Do you really need a study for that? Hit something solid at a high rate of speed and anyone not secured in the back seat is coming forward at that speed, thru front seat passengers, windshields, whatever.

This one wasn't even very fast...

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding my saying that while I'm sure it's happened, I've never heard of a human projectile causing a secondary accident. I was only thinking of unbelted people being thrown from the car, thus another car had to swerv to miss hitting him. Not unbelted back seat passengers. Regarding that, back to my earlier post: Assuming every unbelted person in the car is a legal adult, and are aware that nobody's buckled-up, it's nobody's business but theirs. Of course, the driver should have the legal right to tell them to buckle up if he so desires--He, like the Airline, Bus Company, is the "owner" you agree to ride with. I'm sure unbuckled back seaters do cause all kinds of damage, but the incidence of someone flying out and causing people in another car (who did not agree to this unbuckling in the offending car) injury and death is probably miniscule--same as the deaths caused by jammed belts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom