Boat seat belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>Remember the dreadded national speed limit of 55? That was beacuse of the perceived world oil shortage and opec's prices in 1974. Then in the 80s it became "55 saves lives". Of course it does. 25 saves a lot more. Then in 1986 when there was no more "oil shortage" the law was repealed, speed limits went gradually back up to where they were and the heck with saving lives.

IIRC there was some interesting journalism trying to find the increase in deaths that should have resulted from the increase in speed limits - because they weren't to be found in the raw data. Auto safety improvements (like air bags, ABS, etc.) and mandatory seat belt laws appear to have done more than the 55 MPH limit did.

When the 55 MPH limit was mandatory, one of the car magazines (I don't recall if it was Car & Driver or Motor Trend) ran a calculation of the number of lives wasted by the increase in "time spent gettin' there" by having to drive slower. They took the avg number of miles driven, calculated the increase in time spent driving due to slower travel speeds, multiplied by the driving population, and divided the resultant people-hours by the average lifespan in hours. The final figure was the number of lives being consumed entirely by driving slower. It was on a par with other junk science and used the same methods. :rofl3:

Refusing to wear a seat belt in a moving vehicle makes you an idiot. Much like going into a wreck without proper gear.

So you always wear a seat belt in a moving vehicle.:D

Does this include all planes, boats, buses, trains, golf carts, canoes, bicycles ....

Or do you as an adult make an informed decision based on the risk?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've just deleted some 20 posts that followed the trail from a personal attack... +1 new name calling personal attack.
Play nice, folks...
Rick

I find it a bit interesting that many of the same people who cite safety concerns for wearing seat belts are also among those who insist on driving above the speed limit and faster than is prudent for the road conditions. Just an observation.

The nationwide 55 mph speed limit was enacted solely to conserve gasoline.

I remember reading a very interesting article on a study which was conducted in relation to child deaths in automobile accidents before and after it became mandatory to strap children into car seats. The overall picture was that the number of deaths and serious accidents roughly remained constant, and survey suggested that it was because parents were prepared to drive much more aggressively with their children in the car if they believed that they were safely strapped in.

Just saying.

So it's ok to not put them in a child safety seat? You really are dense

Very clever. Take something I didn't actually say and then proceed to insult me on the basis that you think I said it. I can see why Rick is having a hard time keeping this thread under control.

What I was actually saying, if you read it, is that forcing people to take steps to mitigate risks usually causes them to compensate by increasing the self same risk in other ways.

I am tired of this right wing echo chamber, I am going to go diving (and thankfully not with any of you)

Bye, now! Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Come on back when you don't have time to stay!:D

I am tired of this right wing echo chamber, I am going to go diving (and thankfully not with any of you)

It is a sorry sight when everyone who disagrees with you is a "right winger", stupid, dense, defect in the gene pool, etc......

So where are you diving tonight - the bathtub?

I've never heard of a human projectile causing a secondary accident

Depending what you mean by a "secondary accident", there is ample evidence in the UK to convince the authorities than someone unsecured in the back of a car presents a direct and serious danger to the person in front of them in even a quite mild accident.

many are among those who insist on driving above the speed limit and faster than is prudent for the road conditions

I've edited this quote to highlight the point I want to make. I know of many roads in the UK (where I have most driving experience) where the posted speed limit is quite unrealistic. In good conditions it's safe to drive much faster; in poor conditions the posted maximum permitted speed is far too quick and liable to cause an accident.

Back
Top Bottom