Boat explosion - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Two different versions of this story: Either an air tank on a private vessel or a fuel tanks on a dive boat.

Exploding air tank leaves Cozumel captain with minor injuries - Riviera Maya News
Cozumel, Q.R. — An exploding compressed air tank on a private Cozumel vessel has seen its captain taken to hospital. On Monday afternoon, a stationary tank exploded on a boat that was docked at the Fonatur Marina.

Witnesses to the accident reported seeing the captain, David N, thrown by the explosion. He landed in the sea but was able to swim to shore where he was taken to hospital by ambulance. He is said to be in stable condition.

The explosion caused only minor damage to the vessel.

Video: Explosión en embarcación de buceo causa terror en Cozumel
Google translation...
Explosion in a diving boat causes terror in Cozumel, the deflagration in a boat dedicated to diving tours, caused panic among its crew when a violent explosion registered in it while it was on the dock, this left the captain injured.

It transpires that in the maritime reserve "Marina Cozumel" there was an explosion of a boat that ended with a captain transferred to a hospital on the island.

Although the case has been treated with secrecy, it was revealed that a boat exploded after having loaded fuel into the stationary tank of said Cozumel marina.

After the explosion, the captain of the boat named "Let it be" from the company "Scuba do" flew out approximately ten meters, falling into the sea to get out of the water by his own means.

I didn't see any signs of fire, seems like a compressed-air tank is a likely culprit. Being thrown 10-meters seems like an exaggeration.

I didn't see any signs of fire, seems like a compressed-air tank is a likely culprit. Being thrown 10-meters seems like an exaggeration.
Yeah, I watched the video, and while I couldn't make much from it, I didn't see any fire damage, and - I agree about the 10-meter exaggeration.

Scuba tank or fuel tank?

Did the scuba tank explode as if being filled or did a burst disk give making it sitters all over the boat?

Confusing.

Did the scuba tank explode as if being filled
No one fills tanks at that marina. What else would cause one to explode?

A burst disk going off would not cause that much damage. I had one go off years ago. They release air in all directions. My tank didn’t even fall down. I assume the police came and confiscated the failed tank. In the video, you can see some of the mounts for securing the tank are bent. I don’t whether they were hit by something or what, but fuel vapors would have started something burning.

Imagine what would have happened if this boat had a tank go off while loaded with divers. It would have been bad.

how'd that tank get up on the canopy?

just glad no one got hurt and with a few minor repairs, they can get back to their livelihood. mash'allah.

Back
Top Bottom