Coasties rescue five when boat starts sinking - Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was among the 5 divers in the article. Each of the 2 dive teams had a surface marker buoy and flash lights. The dive was called as soon as it was realised that the mooring line had pulled free of the wreck. SMB's were deployed on reaching the surface and the 2 teams gathered and waited together on the surface to wait for recovery. I flash light was lit to signal the boat as the weather was heavily overcast. We are a group of well trained and experienced divers which contributed to some complacency (not everyone had their own SMB and/or light).
Lessons learned: every diver needs an SMB and light whether you think you do or not. Redundancy is never wasted. I will be purchasing a GPS Personal Locator Beacon before Ocean Diving.
What wreck were you guys on?

What wreck were you guys on?
The Aztec and Province. If you are unfamiliar, the two were abandoned at Sarnia Bay in the early 1900's before the Aztec was loaded on to the Barge Province and the 2 floated out in to the lake to be scuttled. They are 2 of the 4 Sarnia Ghost Fleet Wrecks including the Yakima and Sachem which lie in 75' within a mile of the Aztec/Province.

The Aztec and Province. If you are unfamiliar, the two were abandoned at Sarnia Bay in the early 1900's before the Aztec was loaded on to the Barge Province and the 2 floated out in to the lake to be scuttled. They are 2 of the 4 Sarnia Ghost Fleet Wrecks including the Yakima and Sachem which lie in 75' within a mile of the Aztec/Province.
I've dove on the Sarnia ghost fleet. I've done the Sachem and Yakima. I know the area quite well as we there's an underwater forest near there. Also right by the Price and Sweetheart too on the Canadian side.

I've dove on the Sarnia ghost fleet. I've done the Sachem and Yakima. I know the area quite well as we there's an underwater forest near there. Also right by the Price and Sweetheart too on the Canadian side.
I'm familiar with a petrified Forest at Lexington, MI. but none on the Can side... Co-ordinates?

I'm familiar with a petrified Forest at Lexington, MI. but none on the Can side... Co-ordinates?
43° 2.587 N 082.23.187 W should put you right on the southwestern edge of the forest. It's within visible distance of the wreck of the Sweetheart. Move northest by 200 yards you should be in the middle of the forest.

I was among the 5 divers in the article. Each of the 2 dive teams had a surface marker buoy and flash lights. The dive was called as soon as it was realised that the mooring line had pulled free of the wreck. SMB's were deployed on reaching the surface and the 2 teams gathered and waited together on the surface to wait for recovery. I flash light was lit to signal the boat as the weather was heavily overcast. We are a group of well trained and experienced divers which contributed to some complacency (not everyone had their own SMB and/or light).
Lessons learned: every diver needs an SMB and light whether you think you do or not. Redundancy is never wasted. I will be purchasing a GPS Personal Locator Beacon before Ocean Diving.
Thank you for your incident report. What was the surface water temp? Did your drysuits + undergarments keep you warm enough, or were you beginning to be concerned about your temperature exposure?

rx7diver

Thank you for your incident report. What was the surface water temp? Did your drysuits + undergarments keep you warm enough, or were you beginning to be concerned about your temperature exposure?

rx7diver
14C at the bottom, 17ish at the surface. 2 divers were drysuit with fleece, 3 of us were 7mm neoprene with hood and gloves. We were all still very comfortable when the USCG picked us up after our 78 minute surface interval... it may sound rather non-chalant based on the situation but we were all just having a lark with it and ribbing about who was going to be ate first....

43° 2.587 N 082.23.187 W should put you right on the southwestern edge of the forest. It's within visible distance of the wreck of the Sweetheart. Move northest by 200 yards you should be in the middle of the forest.
Thank you; i'll put that out to our charter operator and dive group.

did you bought the gps if so what brand ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom