Boat entries with a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want to "burp" the suit on land so that the air has been removed before you get in the water. By "open the neck seal," what I mean is to put your fingers between your skin and the seal so that air can flow out of the seal as you curl up into a ball and then remove your fingers before you stand up so that the seal is reestablished and no air gets back into the suit.

I just bought a wet suit and am looking forward to my training. Opening the neck seal just doesn't make sense to me as wouldn't water come in and make you wet? What am I missing?

Fly Girl....You open the neck seal "before the water reaches the neck seal" as you walk into the water. Also, you open the neck seal and bend down at the knees curling up like a ball to force as much extra air out as possible. But....never open the seal while it is under water or if you are floating in the water--as from a boat entry. Hope this helps.

Uh, Fly Girl says she's diving a *Wet* suit, not dry... no burping/air-management needed... Only two reason's you'll need to pull the neck seal on a *wet*suit will be if you're too warm, or if you need to flush out what you did that caused the suit to be a little extra warm :)

Fly Girl just got a dry suit. I suspect force of habit had her writing wet suit, but I am sure she si asking about dry suit techniques.

Masterof0's description is spot on. Pull the neck seal away a bit and roll yourself up as small as possible. If th suit fits correctly it will leave very little air in the suit and you should feel almost vaccuum packed when you stand back up.

As for jumping off a boat, there are times in current when you want to jump in and go straight to the line leading to the anchor line. I have found that doing the above to vent the suit, combined with the normally negative buouyancy that comes from a full tank, or set of doubles is enough to ensure you are negatively buoyant.

A caution here is to be 100% sure your tank valves are on and your reg is functioning as if you go in with them off and are negative, you will sink and the increasing squeeze can make it even harder for you to reach the valves to turn them back on. I had a well meaning but more or less moronic mate turn off both my posts just prior to my jumping off a boat in current last year. I got suspicious with his proximity to my valves and double checked them before jumping off. I discovered I no longer had gas. Life could have gotten interesting had I not double checked.

The moral being if you go in negative, be very, very careful to ensure things are correctly set and working before you jump. There is no real need to jump in negative, unless you are on a boat in strong current, and dumping a bit of reamaining gas on a non current dive is not a big issue. All other things being equal, there is nothing wrong being positive on the surface if something does go wrong on entry.

My big bad - yes, it is a new dry suit. I start classroom training tonight. Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

My big bad - yes, it is a new dry suit. I start classroom training tonight. Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

It is a lot different, but don't get too discouraged. It takes practice and patience. One thing you will probably notice is that in the pool session, you won't be wearing much for undergarments so you will feel the air bubble move a lot. Once you get some undergarments on, they help surpress the air movement so this isn't as noticeable and movements are much easier.

It is a lot different, but don't get too discouraged. It takes practice and patience. One thing you will probably notice is that in the pool session, you won't be wearing much for undergarments so you will feel the air bubble move a lot. Once you get some undergarments on, they help surpress the air movement so this isn't as noticeable and movements are much easier.

Yup, just did my DS pool session last night, and it did feel a bit ... awkward ... to feel the air shift without an undergarment. Good to know that it's not as noticeable with one.

If I buy a drysuit, I imagine my LDS provides a little pool training. Is that generally adequate or should I sign up for the drysuit specialty course?

Richard

Ive seen nothing to convince me a course is needed. If you have a buddy thats used one or anything that's fine. Drysuits are not complicated and really anyone competent in their use can show someone how to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom