Boat entries with a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescue52

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently started diving with a drysuit. I went through a class and learned about bleeding the air out before entering the water, etc. My checkout dives where in a quarry. I went through all the pre-dive checks and squeezed what air I could out. As I walked into the water, I would vent my neck seal to allow what air remained out. All worked great.

Now diving off a boat, I do the same pre-dive routine, but when I enter the water (usually a roll off the side), the remaining air blows me up like a balloon and I have to use the arm vent to remove the air before descending.

Is there something more I can do here or is this just something to deal with using a drysuit.

Is there something more I can do here or is this just something to deal with using a drysuit.

Just have to deal with it.

Vent as much as you can (same neck seal, bend at the knees routine). You'll never get it all out until you jump in the water, but floating vertical and raising your arm will do the trick.

As above. Vent as much as possible before rolling in but guaranteed when you get in you'll have a bubble around the neck. Just dump it with the cuff or shoulder dump when you descend.
Advantage i guess is if you fall overboard in a drysuit you ARE going to float.

How about, cherish the blessed air that remains in your suit which is there to keep you warm -- and just carry more weight? :)

Says I who froze on Monday in 45 degree water.

Nope, but don't fret. Just vent and enjoy the dive.

I recently started using a dry suit as well and was shown several techniques for venting the suit, but the one I have found most successful is to squat down and roll up into a ball and open the neck seal (stay in this position for about 30 seconds so the air has time to completely vent). When you do this, you will also feel the air bleed across your head, so you will know when the air is done bleeding. Before you stand back up, make sure you release the neck seal (the first time I did it I didn't release the neck seal and when I entered the water, I blew up like a balloon). When you stand up, the suit should suck around you.

There is a little air left that you will feel when you get in teh water, but should be minimal and not impact your ability to descend.

Also, the amount of air left in the suit may be a factor of the type of undergarments. When I wear a high loft undergarment, there is a lot of residual air that I cannot get out of the suit that is trapped in the undergarment, but with lighter ones, I am able to more completely bleed the suit.

squat down and roll up into a ball and open the neck seal

Great description. My "bend at the knees" was probably inadequate.

As was mentioned, you'll never get all the air until you have water pressure working for you. But it's not a big deal. Just get enough out so you don't blow your seals on entry.

Masterof0's description is right on. I hadn't thought about the 'be sure you release the neck seal' part, but that is exactly what you have to do.

I would add that in my case I like the little bit of air that is still in the suit after the squat procedure. In fact I usually close my exhaust vent a couple of clicks while I am on the surface so that the air, and extra buoyancy stays. When ready to dive while hanging vertically on the surface, just open up the vent and the air will exhaust. It becomes second nature after a while.

I just bought a wet suit and am looking forward to my training. Opening the neck seal just doesn't make sense to me as wouldn't water come in and make you wet? What am I missing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom