• 5) A mixture of all of the above

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • 6) I hate Charters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7) A mixture of 2 and 3

Votes: 34 22.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK...sounds like you got it handled. I can't help you with those types of inquiries as most of my experience is with bass boats. The only boat diving I have done is from a charter boat. I will say that I did notice, in my very limited experience with diving from a boat, that the center console seemed to be pretty handy. In Belize, when we crossed the barrier reef the water was pretty choppy due to the waves breaking on the reef. The crew had us divers sit at the front of the boat to keep the weight up front. They then had us come to the back of the boat on each side one at a time and backroll off the back. We were told to do this quickly and then descend without lingering near the surface so we didn't get slammed into the boat. Having the passage ways on each side of the console made it easy to get to the back of the boat in rough,choppy water because we could more of less just slide down the seats to get to the back of the boat and not have to spend much time trying to stand or walk on the boat in those rough waves. That's about the extent of the help I can provide you.

They say the two happiest days of a boat owners life is the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it..... Heck I say just talk a friend into buying a boat and then you just have him take you and the family diving!!! In addition to not spending the money to buy the boat, slip fees and fuel you now have someone "on top" for safety!! Isnt America Great!!!!!!!

NJDiver_34

The definition of a boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by wood or glass fibre, into which you POUR money!

Stone,I live in Jax ,our distances are similar.I have a 21' and it is small for 4 divers ,gear,and ice,bait,etc.I have taken 4 divers and one observer 36 miles out to dive some wrecks.It's OK,but really 2 motors and 25' min are the best solution for me.I'm looking at a 28' catamaran now.If only my bride will concede.I have a center console,next boat will have indoor plumbing..etc.Also consider that with a larger boat costs are defrayed by the crew.This ain't a cheap hobby. I don't listen to naysayers either,if you want it,get it if you can.I can't believe I'm destined to spend all my money at the mall.

My two bits,

Twin 250's min
30'
Marine radio and Loran
I like the idea of a tower console.
Your wife would probably like a head.
I would think you would be better off finding a slip to store it.

Wish I had the $$$$.

Tom

Specially added for you walter!!! :wink:

Stone,

I would go for it. If it is financially feasible I would do it. I would be looking at 30+ feet though so you have room for all the gear and at least 4 passengers comfortably. Also I would make sure it has a cabin so you can come in out of the elements and a marine head with shower. As you know when you dive in saltwater it feels nice when you board the boat to be able to rinse down you and your gear.

I have been shopping for one myself and believe a sportfisher fits the diveboat profile best. They have a bigger deck on the stern normally than a runabout or cabin cruiser, IMHO.

Don't forget about the Insurance! Always a bummer. Also, it is against the law in most states to charge anyone anything (fuel, trip, etc.) unless you have a skipper license. Then the Insurance really goes up. Oh, the insurance only covers people on the boat! Once they jump into the water, you need another type of insurance.

I started out with a 20' Sea Swirl then went into a 24' Skip Jack with a fly bridge. I used them both for Diving, Fishing and just plain fun. However, if you plan to use it for diving, expect it to get BEAT UP. Your friends will see to that. Tanks & weight belts are not friendly to boats. Big swells we help everyone clank around. Also, coming in & out typically takes it’s toll.

What's the answer? I bought a 36' Newton Dive Special. It was made for diving and did not cost as much as you would think. I don't charter it, just bring lots of friends diving.

Last note, buy a boat to enjoy it. Don't worry about the expenses or trying to make money. You will just drive yourself and all your friends’ crazy...my .02 worth
See boat: (http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/newton.html)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom