• 5) A mixture of all of the above

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • 6) I hate Charters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7) A mixture of 2 and 3

Votes: 34 22.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone,

Out of curiosity why would you want to know this? Thinking about getting a charter boat?

I voted from a charter although I have not been on one yet, but will be in 8 days. It will be my first ocean dive and first boat dive.

I cannot wait!

Here is where I will be staying!

Syruss,

Nice condo. Remember to post a trip report!

Most of my diving is on my LDS charter. At $50 plus tax, I drop $160 every time I dive with my wife and son. I am slowly convincing myself that I should "invest" in a boat. By the time I decide to take the plunge, I want to factor in the experiences/lessons-learned of divers who own their own boats.

Stone,

I dive most often from a friend's boat here in Puget Sound. The one thing I would like to point out is that on a Charter, there is always at least one person left on the boat to manage the boat, facilitate pick ups, etc.

When you use your own, you are usually leaving it unattended. In a perfect world, I would like someone on board for safety reasons. So recruit often and early for someone who would like to laze about the deck while you dive.

We go early in the morning in cold wet weather so we have not been able to talk anyone into it.

Good luck!

Yeah if you dive much it could save you funds. Of course the boat would only help you in local areas unless you bought a serious ocean going boat.

I you are interested in a NICE dive boat, here is the one I would recommend Worlds BEST Dive Boat

BTW: your payments may be slightly higher than say $160 a month, but well worth it. You will be the envy of ALL of us, even CaptDave will bow to you.

I'm looking for something about 400 feet shorter than the "World's Best". A 20 to 25 ft boat sounds about right.

If I dive with the wife and son twice a month, that $160 becomes $320 which is approaching a payment for a decent boat.

Here's a real rationalization: Every dive after the first two trips of the month would be Free!

Originally posted by Stone
I'm looking for something about 400 feet shorter than the "World's Best". A 20 to 25 ft boat sounds about right.

If I dive with the wife and son twice a month, that $160 becomes $320 which is approaching a payment for a decent boat.

Here's a real rationalization: Every dive after the first two trips of the month would be Free!

This is true stone but could you invite all of the people who post on here along in a smaller boat? Heck this one even comes with a submarine for non divers, what more could you ask?

Good idea. Now mind you we do not have to go as far as you do , we have our own boat for the lake we live on, and it is nice. We still charter when we go out to Lake Ontario to wreck dive. Your idea is sound. Buy the boat.

I would suggest Syruss's idea, "the bigger the better". Hehe

Butch :peace:

A boat would be cool, but remember just because you have a boat doesn't mean your diving is then free. Boats can be alot of work and cost money to mainain. You have to pay taxes on a boat, buy tags every year, fuel and oil, storage(if you don't have a place to keep it), repairs and maintenance, and things of that nature. The payment on the boat would be viewed as an investment and not a cost, so it wouldn't fall into this catagory; however, it will depreciate in value should you sell it, so the depreciation should be factored in. Before you buy, add up all those costs and compare them against the cost of all the dives you do in a year to see how much money you are actually saving by purchasing a boat. Just a little food for thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom