• 5) A mixture of all of the above

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • 6) I hate Charters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7) A mixture of 2 and 3

Votes: 34 22.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove out of a 12' Quicksiler for 5 years before I bought my 16' hard bottom Red Zodiac. Nothing better for inshore jaunts. My boat has probably more carrying capacity than most 25'.And very fuel efficient. 40 hp Mercury pushes her fine even loaded with four sets of gear and divers. Although she is small perfect size for 2 divers and six tanks or 3 divers and six tanks. any more than that and it's a single tank for each.Trailering is also easy as whole rig weighs less than 500 lbs. Hope this helps.

It is good for two divers, but I need a bigger boat.
It is still cheaper then charters.

For me the ideal dive boat is Scottish inshore trawler with a rib on deck and a compressor. I wish I had been born with the profligate ways of a man from Aberdeen, I could just go out and buy one. :D

I mostly dive from a charter boat.We have a few choices in monterey from big to small.I myself prefer the small one.We ussually have about 6-10 divers aboard.I must admit i do love boat diving compared to beach diving.Dont get me wrong beach diving is good too.But it sure is nice to jump off a boat and dive and not have to swim through the surf.

My buddy has a 22' Boston Whaler [Rampage]. It's a great boat
for our crowd. 2 divers gearing up at a time is extremely easy,
one at the bow, one at the stern. 3 divers is a little tight but
two at the bow and one at the stern is fine. 4 divers would be
a problem if your not going to go two and two, where there is
only two gearing up/down at the same time.

With 3 divers and a surface support, there's plenty of room to
stow all the gear and head out for some fishing/lobster pot
checking.

-Jeff

I'm contemplating the purchase of either a kayak or small watercraft to dive and freedive off of. Most of my diving would be in rivers in N. Central Florida and in the gulf around Cedar Key and Crystal River with a couple trips a year to the Keys.

I'm looking at a CraigCat with dive racks installed.

The other option is a Kayak. I am considering Ocean kayaks Scupper Pro or Scrambler XT.

I'm just wondering how many people are diving off platforms such as these and what the pros and cons would be. I'm also open to different options of watercraft or kayak.

Thanks,

Rick

Just chucking ideas around, anyone ever sailed a small Pacific type proa, like Melaniesian or Micronesian? I have been thinking a small take down plywood proa with a poly-tarp sail would be light car top able, and dirt cheap, should be fast and a lot better than a kayak.

Back
Top Bottom