Boat dive photos -Monterey meet and greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryssyr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was the first time I had a camera on a boat dive in Monterey. Conditions were great today for some nice wide angle shots. You can find the photos here.

I still cant believe the colors compared with a no strobe point and shoot. The underwater experience was a lot different than the shore diving I had been doing in the past couple of months. It was great fun, lets do it again soon!

-Robin

Nice job Robin. Thanks for sharing with us who couldn't make the weekend.

Yes, it was a great day of diving!! It was great to meet everyone from SoCal. I can't wait to make it down there and dive with them sometime again. Thanks for organizing this Ann Marie!!

Great shots Robin. I can't wait for my camera to grow up to an SLR. It will someday. :wink:

"Very" nice Robin. Good job!

Thanks for the photos Robin. I'm glad you got to do Butterfly House - and from the convenience of a boat. Bummed I couldn't be there :shakehead:

-Kevin

Robin got a better shot of the sunbathing Mola than I did.

080906_MONTEREY_MG_UW_0151_mola.jpg

On the way out of the bay everyone was pretty enthusiastic about the conditions. Here are a few shots from the boat deck as we headed out. First Robin and Mark, then Michelle and Will.

080905_Monterey_MG_0132.jpg

080905_Monterey_MG_0131.jpg

Silver Prince left the harbor in bright early morning sun, but as the boat slowed somewhere off Carmel an hour later the fog was just thick enough to obscure the coast. There was nothing but glassy water, fog, and kelp. Dave came on the speaker and announced that we were off Butterfly House on one of the pinnacles out there. These pinnacles are close enough to the Carmel branch of the Monterey Canyon to get a lot of upwelling, and there was sure to be an explosion of life on the rocky terrain below.

Here are a few pics from that dive.

080906_MONTEREY_MG_UW_0143_hydrocoral.jpg

080906_MONTEREY_MG_UW_0140_cory_bloom.jpg

080906_MONTEREY_MG_UW_0135_nudi.jpg

Vis was about 25' and Anne and I could see pretty far down the west wall of the Pinnacle. It was a vertical face jutting up from about 100' to about 60', and we contented ourselves with cruising along at about 85' inspecting cracks and crevasses. The hydrocoral was fabulous, and of course every tiny micro-milimeter of rock was bursting with invertibrate life.

Here's a shot of Michelle and Anne just before we headed back up.

080906_MONTEREY_MG_UW_0148.jpg

After an hour or so Dave had moved us over the Outer Pinnacle off Pescadero Point, and we dropped onto the multiple spires of the pinnacle and soared into the canyons, levelling off at around 75'. This was not really deep enough to explore any but the upper reaches of the pinnacle, because those on air were constrained by NDLs after the earlier dive, so we snooped around the peaks.

080906_MONTEREY_MG_UW_0153_garden.jpg

As the sun rose higher and the fog burned off divers peeled off their exposure suits and soaked up the rays. There was no wind and it was getting warm.

Our last dive was on Outer Chase Reef, and our plan had been to swim south into the kelp fields for a nice, shallow cruise. Unfortunately, vis was only about 5-10' and Anne and I decided to swim along the reef dike that ran parallel with the shore just under the boat.

080906_MONTEREY_MG_UW_0160_anne.jpg

Back in the parking lot Norcal divers gravitated to Michelle's car for goodbyes and planning for the evening. Here's Mark, Robin, Sarah Greg, me, Anne, and Michelle.

080906_Monterey_MG_0128.jpg

I was sorry we didn't get Ann Marie, Teamcasa and the others from SoCal in the shot, but we had a great time meeting and diving with you all.

More photos at:http://www.pbase.com/irimi/monterey_mg_on_silver_prince

Oh, gosh wish I was with you, I'm homesick. I'm from Monterey, started diving there in 70. Now living in GA where most people would "never go into cold water". I miss it. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Great photos Robin and Jeff! It was a beautiful day and I was happy to have been able to share it with you all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom