Boat Crew Setting Up Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
I'm sure your recent dive log is staggering.

LOL...I'm glad you're impressed. :wink:

I've had my equipment set up for me a few times by my DM when I was running late. But the first thing I was taught was no matter who assembles your gear, if it isn't you, check it and then check it again.

My instructor brought this home to me by leaving weights out/air off etc. (on a pool dive) and as soon as I got it on, told me to take it back off! At first I thought he was just being mean but I know that if there was a situation where that happened in real life, without someone watching me, it could have gotten nasty.

I prefer to put my own stuff together, but if someone has to do it, I check it like my life depends on it. Cos it might.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I dove with Hugh Parkey from a Carnival cruise a year or so ago, and they offered to setup my gear also, I just said "no thanks", and that was the end of it. They were very professional, and I'd dive with them again any time I had the opportunity.

The gear setup is only an offer, not a mandate, and considering the number of divers they get who don't know which end of the tank valve faces the diver, it's probably a good thing. All things considered, a diver who hasn't been in the water in a long time is probably better off using equipment that was setup by someone who does it 3 or 4 times a day, instead of doing it themselves.

The people who don't know how to setup their stuff are given help, and the people who want to do their own can, it if they want to.

Terry

redhatmama:
Hi All:

Just returned from a cruise to Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. Diving was great, but I hated the cruising. We dived with Hugh Parkey's in Belize and while I feel they were a top notch dive operation, I was uncomfortable handing over my gear for the crew to assemble. They literally strapped on your BC, stuck your fins on your feet and even pulled the stray hair out of your mask before you back rolled into the water.

It made me feel a bit uncomfortable as I have always assembled my own gear. Couldn't do the normal buddy check had to spend several minutes going over my gear before I could descend.

While it was easy and convenient, I just didn't like it. It violates everything I learned in OW class (no buddy checks, not checking your own gear). Is this normal for travel diving?

Do you mean with a wrench, or were they expecting the quick disconnect to fit over the burst disk?

I'm very happy that someone took the time to make sure that all the SCUBA hoses only fit on things that won't blow them up. :cool:

Not sure about the rest of the world, but in the US, about 20 years ago, the fittings on all the new flexible gas connectors (for stoves, water heaters, etc.) were changed from a standard flare fitting to something unique, because with enough work it was possible to hook up the gas pipe to a water pipe (just like in the old 3 Stooges Films).

Iruka:
I've seen divers try to attach their inflator hose back INTO the first stage...on the burst disk.

On my recent trip to Cancun, the DMs set up everyone's gear on the way out to the dive site. They'd ask you for your regs and your BC.

I actually enjoyed watching them set up my stuff. I dive a bp/w, and I take it everywhere. Most of the time they could figure it out, but I had one admit defeat and come get me.

All that said, when the setups were all done and they were relaxing up front, I went back there, triple-checked everything, and reconfigured what was not to my preference. I also turned on my air, and checked the system.

It only takes a few minutes to check it over, and usually less time than it would take to tell them not to set it up and then have the discussion that invariably follows. By the way, I learned that trick by dealing with my wife. :wink:

No muss, no fuss, and all went well. Everyone ended up happy. If something ended up broken, it should be caught before you gear up anyway, and if someone is going to turn off your air on the way to the water, there isn't crap you can do to stop it anyway. It's too easy for them to turn your valve while they are helping you out. It IS easy to tell by not filling your BC until it's time to hop in.

This is good to know (in fact not the first time I've heard it).

But is not diving a DM's plan, still valid? I have little experience, but so far my PLAN's are limited to, swim out, decend to X depth, look around for a while, return to the surface, exit. Not much different than you DM plan although I guess his was jump in, decend, drift, go up.

I hear too many stories like yours about the out of control sinking diver. I would hope however that a DM was also keeping an eye on that.... but maybe not.

I was hoping to dive with my Cuz, who has been diving for a few decades. But with the disaster that was Multiple hurricanes that hit Harbor Branch in Ft. Pierce, she not only will not take time off when we are there in Dec, but she will be working weekends!!

Go figure.
Ron

redhatmama:
Ron, I've got news for you. You get to an exotic dive spot you aren't going to be planning your dive and diving your plan like you were taught. These dives are are lead and you will be briefed on the profile you will be diving and you will dive the DM's plan, particularly in a place like Cozumel where you will quickly learn to drift dive, even if you haven't taken that PADI specialty diver course.

I didn't plan to dive a wall with an 80 foot profile; I had never been deeper than 60 feet. By the time I helped another diver who was sinking out of control, I was down to 95 feet and getting narced. The bottom was 175 feet, I later learned.

Florida Keys diving is pretty easy if there is not surge; the DMs down there are nice folk and they won't let you off the boat without a buddy. Whether or not your buddy is going to be a "same ocean buddy" is another question. You can even hire a DM for the dives for about $30 if you feel you need one.

redhatmama:
You get to an exotic dive spot you aren't going to be planning your dive and diving your plan like you were taught. These dives are are lead and you will be briefed on the profile you will be diving and you will dive the DM's plan

You may. I won't. I dive my plan.

Firefyter:
Let these guys earn their tips by carrying and setting the gear up, look it over and make sure everything's ok, and just have fun.

I enjoy setting up my gear. I don't enjoy someone trying to put my fins on me. They earn a tip from me by staying out of my way. I don't mind an offer to help. I do mind when they start to insist. That is not fun and relaxing. If you enjoy it, by all means let them treat you like a mindless incompetent. I'll pass.

Walter:
I enjoy setting up my gear. I don't enjoy someone trying to put my fins on me. They earn a tip from me by staying out of my way. I don't mind an offer to help. I do mind when they start to insist. That is not fun and relaxing.

I find it particularly annoying when I'm taking my fins off in the water, and the DM decides to "help" me by doing my other fin while I'm tackling the first one.

I really really hate that. Nothing makes me feel more like an incompetent noob.

Gotta get spring straps. That's sure to confuse them.

Wijbrandus:
It only takes a few minutes to check it over, and usually less time than it would take to tell them not to set it up and then have the discussion that invariably follows. By the way, I learned that trick by dealing with my wife. :wink:

Exactly what I was saying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom