Bluebonnet Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6:
On google maps it looks like there is an old road that goes STRAIGHT to that hole so that makes sense.

Bummer man, bummer, I'm all depressed now.

If it is the gravel pit that I've hear about, there is supposed to be some of the old dragline buckets and stuff still there. Should make for an interesting dive.

Mack

Anyone know how close you can get to Bluebonnet hole on public roads? Any chance of (energetic) shore access? I have a buddy that has a boat,but the lake is too low at the moment to access the hole.How fast is the flow? Driftdive??!!

ianr33:
Anyone know how close you can get to Bluebonnet hole on public roads? Any chance of (energetic) shore access? I have a buddy that has a boat,but the lake is too low at the moment to access the hole.How fast is the flow? Driftdive??!!

Hey Ian,

Yeah, I drove up to the Narrows, which is the only boat ramp close by. Other than that, I think there is a working quarry along side the hole which you might be able to get access by if you got permission.

L

There is definitely a gravel pit or quary of some sort to the east - south-east of the Hole on Sanplant Road. From local.google.com is looks as if a dirt road goes right down to the river by the hole, which could possibly be used to launch a boat or as an entry point for a team of divers and support team. This would possibly be the best bet for the easist entry point to access the hole.

http://local.google.com/local?f=q&h...0.554445,-98.242139&spn=0.003594,0.010815&t=h

Check out the google satellite image to see what I'm talking about. It's definitely do-able. I'd be there myself to check it out, but Austin is an 9 hour drive from my house. If I can work something out around my work schedule though I would definitely like to be apart of the support team. I say lets organize some exploritory dives to see how deep it goes and what it runs into. :)

Vis will most likely suck, some kind of guidline would have to be ran/dropped.

We can make several practice dives / exploritory dives down to pre-determined depths. We can gain an insight of visibility at different depths, run lines, get an idea of the composition of the wall of the hole, water temperature(s), thermoclines, etc. If there aren't any noticable differences in water temperatures at the thermoclines then it may be a spring fed hole.

Well y'all piqued my interest so I went exploring today and found Bluebonnet Hole.

The Good: It can be accessed from the shore. Is a very scenic and somewhat isolated location.

The Slightly Less Good: Can be accessed from shore with a bit of a hike. Figure 20 minutes+ carrying doubles? In other words it looks to be a most excellent adventure. I plan on getting out there to dive it in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Happy to give complete access directions after that:wink:

ianr33:
Well y'all piqued my interest so I went exploring today and found Bluebonnet Hole.

The Good: It can be accessed from the shore. Is a very scenic and somewhat isolated location.

The Slightly Less Good: Can be accessed from shore with a bit of a hike. Figure 20 minutes+ carrying doubles? In other words it looks to be a most excellent adventure. I plan on getting out there to dive it in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Happy to give complete access directions after that:wink:

Don't go without me Ian. By the way, why aren't you at work....

L

Man, 20 mins with doubles... hmm.. that doesn't jive with my definition of "accessible".

Andrew, want to help me set up a side-mount rig? Two 20 min hikes sound a lot better :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom