Bluebonnet Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teknadv3x:
Does anyone know how that hole got there? The surrounding water of the hole is pretty shallow 6' then all of a sudden there is this 120' plus hole about 100' across.
Carol Cowan of the LCRA told one of my crew he put a drop camera in the hole and hit sand that was bubbling and the water was clear @115' similar to the cream of wheat springs @ Aquarena Springs.

Dave

Dave,,, I to would like to learn a bit more....have only heard of the hole in the past but only in general conv.. Hope someone with direct knowedge steps up to brief us all.

If this goes somewhere I would like to help or be invovled.
I have been looking for holes like this for sometime.

Regards, Andrew

Teknadv3x:
Does anyone know how that hole got there? The surrounding water of the hole is pretty shallow 6' then all of a sudden there is this 120' plus hole about 100' across.
Carol Cowan of the LCRA told one of my crew he put a drop camera in the hole and hit sand that was bubbling and the water was clear @115' similar to the cream of wheat springs @ Aquarena Springs.

Dave

I have a friend who boats up that way quite often. He "says" his depth gauge has read 200+. He swears by it. He is not a diver and has never been there. The surrounding area is supposed to be shallow and then it just falls off. I have heard that it is a sink hole which might be part of an aquifer kind of like Hamilton's pool.

Don't really know though...

interesting to say the least.

LVX:
I have a friend who boats up that way quite often. He "says" his depth gauge has read 200+. He swears by it. He is not a diver and has never been there. The surrounding area is supposed to be shallow and then it just falls off. I have heard that it is a sink hole which might be part of an aquifer kind of like Hamilton's pool.

Don't really know though...

interesting to say the least.

I will talk to Jim from my crew today. He
has been there this past year and was going to pull off some exploratory dives but the river was ripping so he thumbed the dive on the boat. He is very excited about the prospect of pulling off some dives there. I will see if he is willing to give out a daytime # so he can compare notes.

Dave

Teknadv3x:
I will talk to Jim from my crew today. He
has been there this past year and was going to pull off some exploratory dives but the river was ripping so he thumbed the dive on the boat. He is very excited about the prospect of pulling off some dives there. I will see if he is willing to give out a daytime # so he can compare notes.

Dave

That would be great. Like I said, I have a map which shows this feature and give coordinates for its location. I would love to hear how his dive went because it will probably be after the new year before I will be able to make a dive there.

thanks for your help

L

I talked to Jim and he said it would be ok to call him about Blue Bonnett hole and compare notes . Daytime/ Houston- 832-212-8406

Dave

30°33'15.91"N
98°14'49.60"W

According to the LCRA map I have that is were it is located and if you have google earth, you can actually see the faint outline of water that runs deeper than the surrounding area.

Man there has to be holes, Barton springs, edwards aquifer, I'm ready to start digging holes.

bluebonnet_hole.jpg

This is from the Highland Lakes Hazards Map series published by the LCRA.

You can see the hole in question just upstream from mile marker 64.

Back
Top Bottom