Blue Mesa July 9 - 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group from Colorado Springs/Pueblo is planning on diving Blue Mesa next weekend.

We plan on camping at Stevens Creek Campground.

Some will arrive Thursday, and others Friday for the weekend. If anyone is interested, let me know. Car pooling is also available (from Colo Spgs anyway).

There are motels available nearby in Gunnison if you don't want to camp.

I think there may also be the possibility of getting some Specialty Courses done, but have to check with the instructors on that.

We plan to rent some pontoon boats to dive from. The cost for this is not known yet, it will depend upon how many people and how many boats we rent, but you will know before we leave. Also, in the past, for those who don't want to bother cooking, there has been food available for an additional fee. I think last year I paid $85 for food Friday morning through Sunday noon, my share of the boat rental (had the boats 2 days) and my share of the camping costs. I suspect the costs will be similar this year. The only cost (besides possible instruction) are actual costs divided up among the divers/campers.

Also, we will be camping on the lake front, so shore diving is also an option.

If I could I'd definitely do it, but I'm watching my son's dogs that weekend.

I will be in CB all week. Count me in for meeting you. There are some cliffs around the right side of the cove at Dry Creek that are fairly sheltered and offer some decent dive opportunity. Friday might work best for me. Probably will keep an eye on the weather and come find you at Stevens Creek when its looking good.

I will be in CB all week. Count me in for meeting you. There are some cliffs around the right side of the cove at Dry Creek that are fairly sheltered and offer some decent dive opportunity. Friday might work best for me. Probably will keep an eye on the weather and come find you at Stevens Creek when its looking good.

We have reserved sites 001, 002 and 005 in Stevens Creek. I'm not sure when we'll be renting the boats - certainly on Saturday, maybe Friday. I'm guessing that the site you're talking about in Dry Creek is a shore dive? I can PM you my cell phone if you like. I'll be in a white Ford Superduty Crew Cab, blue military plates, with a small Scamper pop-up camper.

Yes the cliffs can be a shore dive, and a fun place to do some cliff jumping too! Its a bit of a hike over to them from the parking lot. I've used a garden cart to haul gear in the past. A boat makes things easier.
I will see if one of my local buddies might volunteer a boat for Friday.
I don't think that there is any cell phone reception at Stevens Creek, but PM me your cell phone # anyway.

001, 002 and 005, but NOT James Bond's spot? 007? lol

Yes the cliffs can be a shore dive, and a fun place to do some cliff jumping too! Its a bit of a hike over to them from the parking lot. I've used a garden cart to haul gear in the past. A boat makes things easier.
I will see if one of my local buddies might volunteer a boat for Friday.
I don't think that there is any cell phone reception at Stevens Creek, but PM me your cell phone # anyway.

001, 002 and 005, but NOT James Bond's spot? 007? lol

From the Gov't website: Campground is located within a prairie dog colony. A cell tower was installed in the area in 2008 so cell phone use is available. All boats require a Curecanti NRA boat permit.

Had I not read that, I wouldn't have thought there would be cell phone service either. Right now, I'm planning on leaving Thursday around noon, unless I get some passengers who can't leave that early. I'd like to be there before 5:00PM. The majority will come up after work Thursday, and if it turns out like last year, they won't get there until around midnight.

I will be there Wednesday, but have business to take care of through Thursday. Friday and Saturday are open. My plan is to dive with you all one of those two days.

Hey Ron Frank...I'm driving through Conifer on the way...Do you want to catch a ride?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom