Blue Mesa Bash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I added this to the RMO calender.
It does not have to be the annual get together, just an event!:crafty:

People could show up throughout the day on Sat the 12th, and we will have an area set up with shade, tables, chairs, coolers, a grill, and a pontoon boat. People will have the option to camp, or drive 10 miles back to Gunnison and get a motel.

You will need to bring enough full tanks to satisfy the number of dives you plan on doing. No air fills available unless we can rent a compressor for the weekend.

More dives the morning of the 13th. Or maybe just cliff jumping, water skiing, fishing, sleeping, whatever!

I have some friends with ski boats, so we will have to have them participate as well.

People showing serious interest so far:
Dd-Kent
BallsDeep-Brian
ScubaSteveLovesMe-Andrea
ddavies-Dan
rugbydiver-Dan
wijbrandus-Robert
jbichsel-Jerry
Pipefish
Matthew S
Robert B
Thomas C

Add your name and ideas by posting below, and we can start putting this together!

I'm looking into lodging. How committed are people? Any idea how cold the water will be at that point?

I'm officially committed.

I've got reservations about 8 miles away at the Island Acres Resort. They have in-room Internet, a major plus for the Mrs who will probably have to check in on work that weekend. Looks like a nice quiet place too. We will be down there Friday and leaving Sunday afternoon.

Who else is in for sure? (PF this means you.)

This is where we are staying - http://www.islandacresresort.com/

Hi Robert!
You can count on me, and the other Robert, so far. I have a group of 4 more from Ft Collins that needs to make sure that they can get away that weekend.
I am sure that others will committ, soon.
No matter what, lets get a boat. I will make the arrangements, and put it on my CC. Everyone who goes in on the boat can square up with me during the weekend.

The surface temp will increase everyday until the end of summer. Its actually pleasant to swim by the end of July. However, there will be thermoclines, and the temps will drop drastically.
On our Morrow Point dives, we encountered a 10 degree drop at about 6 feet, and another 10 degree drop at 23 feet. The mid-40 temps with a dry suit were fine. Fingertips got a little cold. The mid-50 temps felt balmy, and we wallowed around the surface for quite awhile in the mid 60 temps.

There is a restaurant across the street from Island Acres called "The Trough." Its great! Steaks, prime rib, seafood, etc. Not cheap....not too expensive either, but a fun and great place for dinner.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss this and it makes me sad :(. I am headed for Vancouver on Saturday the 12th, to catch a live aboard for a week of diving!

I went to Blue Mesa last weekend for my Anniversary and some spectacular Salmon fishing - you guys are going to have a blast!

PF

pipefish:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss this and it makes me sad :(. I am headed for Vancouver on Saturday the 12th, to catch a live aboard for a week of diving!

I went to Blue Mesa last weekend for my Anniversary and some spectacular Salmon fishing - you guys are going to have a blast!

PF

You will have to post the results of your Vancouver live aboard. Are you diving anything special?

Hi All!
Been away for a few days. Just checking in.

We didn't get any dives in, but we checked on some things.
We went to Blue Mesa on Monday and it looked great. Could easily see about 30 feet down. However, monsoon season has started, and with daily rain, things could change.
We also went to Lake San Cristobal in Lake City. Its the 2nd largest natural lake in Colorado, behind Gand Lake. The water is crystal clear. The lake sits at 9000 feet in an incredibly picturesque valley.
We also climbed 14309 foot Mt Uncompahgre...fantastic!

Pipefish..Your trip to Vancouver sounds great!
Some of my favorite diving ever is off Vancouver Island and Quadra Island near Campbell river. Nothing like waiting for an 18 knot current to diminish for 30 minutes during slack tide, and then dodging whirl pools in the boat as the current picks back up, while heading to the next dive site!
Between eating salmon from Blue Mesa and now the Northwest, you are going to be the healthiest person in town!

Just a bump to put this back at the top of the list, since it's gone all quiet.

Anyone else planning on going? How many are we up to at this point?

Three people from my LDS look like they are in for sure. My brother in law, Dan, You, Me, and it looks like there are a few other nibbles.
Anyway, thats 7 people at this time, which makes the boat rental affordable.

Its been raining a lot. The Gunnison River was a chalky, light brown color today. I haven't been down to the lake for a couple of weeks. I will check it out this weekend and let you all know if its still as clear as it was earlier this summer.

Back
Top Bottom